How Do I Change My Username In Windows 10 ?

Reaction score
on my windows 10 i changed the username to owner but it doesn't show up under that username, it shows up as '805-0117' can you please help me with that? i bought my computer from the store btw.

here's an example:
Screenshot_8.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi cwillett03,

Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps what you did was click that Rename this PC button in Start > Settings > System > About but that will not alter your User Profile's Username.

I posted an Article the other day to help Users who want to change their current Username.

It's a little tricky to do, but if you follow the instructions given in the order given, you should not have any trouble achieving your goal. As a precaution though, before starting you could create a System Restore Point to back up the Registry, and if you want a System Image to fully backup everything including files etcetera.

The Article can be read here:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-your-username-in-windows-10-home-editions.62/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi cwillett03,

Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps what you did was click that Rename this PC button in Start > Settings > System > About but that will not alter your User Profile's Username.

I posted an Article the other day to help Users who want to change their current Username.

It's a little tricky to do, but if you follow the instructions given in the order given, you should not have any trouble achieving your goal. As a precaution though, before starting you could create a System Restore Point to back up the Registry, and if you want a System Image to fully backup everything including files etcetera.

The Article can be read here:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-your-username-in-windows-10-home-editions.62/

Regards,

Regedit32

that looks way too complicated man :\
but i might have a solution, maybe if i use the take ownership registry modification and rename the user folder from that? i'm not sure if it will work but i will try that.

Regedit32

Reaction score
that looks way too complicated man :\
but i might have a solution, maybe if i use the take ownership registry modification and rename the user folder from that? i'm not sure if it will work but i will try that.

Well if you come up with a simpler method for the Windows 10 Home users, do share the solution.

I'm hoping the Major updates coming in the Fall / Autumn will improve things and allow the User to maintain such settings a little more easily; but till then, the way I provided in the Article works.

Regedit32

Reaction score

Unfortunately Wolfie, none of the three ways mentioned in your link will work in Windows 10 Home editions.

The first suggestion was deprecated a while ago.

The second suggestion triggers an alert that the snap is not permitted in this edition of windows.

The third suggestion makes use of GPO which is not included in Windows 10 Home editions; although I am aware some people work-around that by downloading a few files.

By the way, there are actually six ways to do it in Professional / Enterprise editions, but the three mentioned in your article are the most common ways to do it.

Ask a Question