How to change your Username in Windows 10 Home editions

How to change your Username in Windows 10 Home editions

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32 submitted a new article:

How to change your Username in Windows 10 Home editions - Making use of Built-in Administrator and Registry Editor to change Username in Windows 10 Home

Recently I went through the process of using an HP Recovery drive to return my computer back to Factory status [ which included the Windows 7 Home Premium OS ].

After removing the bloatware I proceeded to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home over the pristine C partition.

During this process for some reason my Username got shortened from Regedit32 to reged, and that was a little annoying to say the least.

For those not familiar with changing Usernames, you probably never noticed, but...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Regedit Great tutorial.
I don't have the home edition but the Grandkids do. I'm sure the tutorial will come in handy. I don't understand other than $$ why MS changed things that ain't broke.
My Grandson got a new gaming PC last week to my surprise it came with no bloatware installed, I helped him set it up (Home edition) User name, PC Administrator it was certainly different than the Pro edition. This is why the average user gets into trouble by performing what should be a simple task.

Regedit32

Reaction score
All going well, hopefully, you will not need to do this for your Grandkids Norton.

Just in case Microsoft deprecate the ability to use this work-around solution, another way to deal with this would be to create a New User account with the new username you want, and copy the files from the account with the name you no longer want, apart from these three files:
  • Ntuser.dat
  • Ntuser.dat.log
  • Ntuser.ini

After confirming the new account works OK and your files are safe, you could then delete the old user account.

Reaction score
Thanks! I checked my user account re the files you said not to delete, the only file I see that you mentioned is NT User Dat and of course App data folder. Maybe because I'm running Win 10 Pro?

Regedit32

Reaction score
the only file I see that you mentioned is NT User Dat and of course App data folder. Maybe because I'm running Win 10 Pro?

You'll need to click the File Explorer View tab then double-left-click on Options to open the Folder Options dialog. From here select the View tab then remove check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and click Apply, OK to be able to see the other two files I mentioned.

Reaction score
After creating some graphics, noticed the file properties include my name
(which I foolishly supplied when Win setup asked for the computer owner's name).
Changing the user name doesn't actually remove my name; it creates an alias.
So the file property now shows this new alias PLUS the original computer owner
(in parentheses) that I wanted to anonymize.
BTW, setup didn't recognize my 6-year-old name brand monitor, so a large portion
of the installation text which I needed to read and respond to was unreadable.
After installation, and before adding wireless connection so I could go online,
I explored the file structure using the post-XP replacement to Windows Explorer;
the computer locked up repeatedly. This machine came with Windows 7; I removed
that OS entirely by reformatting the drive (a mercy killing).
Also after renaming, the crummy successor to "Windows Fax and Picture Viewer"
no longer comes up. Pics now open with Paint, and "Photo" is not listed as an app
available to open them. I wonder what new horribles wait to be discovered.
With great anticipation I bought Win95 when it came out. I use Macs at work, but
for half my life have suffered thru MS products at home. The user interface peaked
in usability with XP and has been going downhill since, despite howls of complaint
from its customers. ("What do those peasants know!")
Win10 leaves me utterly disgusted.

Reaction score
Very clear instructions, and worked very well. I did have one hiccup, though. I already had Dropbox installed, and after I changed everything I couldn't use it, because it was looking for everything under the old name. I just uninstalled and reinstalled it and haven't had any problems since. No other programs that I've tried (Napster, Rosetta Stone) have had any issues.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Very clear instructions, and worked very well. I did have one hiccup, though. I already had Dropbox installed

Thanks for the feedback Toni.

You are correct, I did overlooked the scenario where someone has previously installed apps for accessing Cloud formats, but I am glad you managed to resolve that for yourself by uninstalling, then reinstalling the app.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello, I just tried to do as you instructed (very clear instructions by the way), and also had the dropbox problem (I uninstalled it) and while everything is changed to the new username, the user name in the lock screen when signing in to windows isn't (which was the whole initial reason for changing the thing). It's still the old user name. What to do?

Reaction score
Also I additionally tried to use the netplwiz option to change the name int he lock screen, but now I can't open the control panel, as Runtimebroker.exe says there is "no match between names and security" (roughly translating from greek windows)

Reaction score
Also I additionally tried to use the netplwiz option to change the name int he lock screen, but now I can't open the control panel, as Runtimebroker.exe says there is "no match between names and security" (roughly translating from greek windows)
nevermind, it looks like all it needed was a reboot, and it kept all changes including the new username in the lockscreen.

Reaction score
Hi!
i am facing a problem in renaming the user folder , as it says that "the action cannot be completed as the folder of a file is in use in another program. close the folder or file and try again". i have tried signing out of that login account, but still the same message persists! i dont know what more i have to close?
kindly help!!

Reaction score
Hi!
i am facing a problem in renaming the user folder , as it says that "the action cannot be completed as the folder of a file is in use in another program. close the folder or file and try again". i have tried signing out of that login account, but still the same message persists! i dont know what more i have to close?
kindly help!!
You should start a new thread on the forum as this is a guide section and not much traffic!.

Second, did you read the following?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-your-username-in-windows-10-home-editions.62/ :)

Ask a Question