How to change your Username in Windows 10 Home editions

Making use of Built-in Administrator and Registry Editor to change Username in Windows 10 Home

1. Regedit32

Regedit32 Moderator

Regedit32 submitted a new article:

How to change your Username in Windows 10 Home editions - Making use of Built-in Administrator and Registry Editor to change Username in Windows 10 Home

Read more about this article...

Regedit32, Jul 2, 2017
    Norton likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Regedit32

Norton

Regedit Great tutorial.
    I don't have the home edition but the Grandkids do. I'm sure the tutorial will come in handy. I don't understand other than $$ why MS changed things that ain't broke.
    My Grandson got a new gaming PC last week to my surprise it came with no bloatware installed, I helped him set it up (Home edition) User name, PC Administrator it was certainly different than the Pro edition. This is why the average user gets into trouble by performing what should be a simple task.

Norton, Jul 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Regedit32

Regedit32 Moderator

All going well, hopefully, you will not need to do this for your Grandkids Norton.

Just in case Microsoft deprecate the ability to use this work-around solution, another way to deal with this would be to create a New User account with the new username you want, and copy the files from the account with the name you no longer want, apart from these three files:
    • Ntuser.dat
    • Ntuser.dat.log
    • Ntuser.ini

After confirming the new account works OK and your files are safe, you could then delete the old user account.

Regedit32, Jul 2, 2017
    Norton likes this.
  4. Regedit32

Norton

Thanks! I checked my user account re the files you said not to delete, the only file I see that you mentioned is NT User Dat and of course App data folder. Maybe because I'm running Win 10 Pro?

Norton, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Regedit32

Regedit32 Moderator

You'll need to click the File Explorer View tab then double-left-click on Options to open the Folder Options dialog. From here select the View tab then remove check next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) and click Apply, OK to be able to see the other two files I mentioned.

Regedit32, Jul 3, 2017
  6. Regedit32

J Mander Hollister III

After creating some graphics, noticed the file properties include my name
    (which I foolishly supplied when Win setup asked for the computer owner's name).
    Changing the user name doesn't actually remove my name; it creates an alias.
    So the file property now shows this new alias PLUS the original computer owner
    (in parentheses) that I wanted to anonymize.
    BTW, setup didn't recognize my 6-year-old name brand monitor, so a large portion
    of the installation text which I needed to read and respond to was unreadable.
    After installation, and before adding wireless connection so I could go online,
    I explored the file structure using the post-XP replacement to Windows Explorer;
    the computer locked up repeatedly. This machine came with Windows 7; I removed
    that OS entirely by reformatting the drive (a mercy killing).
    Also after renaming, the crummy successor to "Windows Fax and Picture Viewer"
    no longer comes up. Pics now open with Paint, and "Photo" is not listed as an app
    available to open them. I wonder what new horribles wait to be discovered.
    With great anticipation I bought Win95 when it came out. I use Macs at work, but
    for half my life have suffered thru MS products at home. The user interface peaked
    in usability with XP and has been going downhill since, despite howls of complaint
    from its customers. ("What do those peasants know!")
    Win10 leaves me utterly disgusted.

J Mander Hollister III, Sep 8, 2017
    1. Advertisements