How do I get rid of this guy called Administrator

Reaction score
Is there anyway to Load an operating System without the Administrator?
After all this is my Computer and I should not be getting Messgages saying you cant do that or you don’t have permission to do that every time I try to do something.
Any suggestions Please.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AS your description of the actual issue is somewhat general and vague......
There could be a couple approaches.
1. The account you are using is not a member of the local administrators group, and therefore there are a few things that you might not be able to actually do.
OR
2. You are using the hidden Administrator's account to log on or you have the UAC (user account control) set too low or off and in that case most if not all Universal Apps will produce that or similar error.

In any case a specific example or two of what you are experiencing might help.

Reaction score
Greetings, Paul!

You are the Administrator. You're running across a safety set-up that keeps malware from seizing your computer. Windows won't let certain types of software install without making sure that you know about it.

But if you have more than one account, it is possible that you are using a "user" account instead of an Administrator account. Go to Control Panel and select Users to make sure that you actually are using an Administrator account.

Reaction score
Same damn problem. I AM the administrator. I am the ONLY USER of this computer. So I try to delete a big bunch of photos. Two of the 200 or so won't delete without administrator's permission. So I try to verify that I'm the administrator. W10 will email me a code. It doesn't. Meanwhile, while it's jerking my chain, something rearranges all the icons on my desktop.

W10 pisses me off at least once a week with crap like this. I probably waste two hours a week fixing things that W10 keeps messing with.

Reaction score
Being the sole user doesn't make you the administrator. Did you do what Vince Massi asked?

Reaction score
Being the sole user doesn't make you the administrator. Did you do what Vince Massi asked?

Did that. Went back just now and spent more time with it. I am the only user and I AM the administrator. But there is an account called ASP.NET Machine Account, whatever that is. Afraid to delete it because doing so will delete data, files, etc, and I have no idea what that might include. So I changed that ASP.NET account to Administrator. Now both accounts, the one with my name and this mystery thing are admins.

Another thing: When I try to change something that W10 won't let me do until it "verifies" my account or some such. Says to enter the email and W will email me the needed code. Promises, promises... I never get that email.

But back to the original problem: Why can I delete a batch of video files--nearly 200--and all delete except two which won't delete because I have to be an admin?

Reaction score
@Eric Rush, this may help you in managing your files. All through my time on Windows 7 forums I heard people suggest this as a fix. While I used a third party file manager I never needed it. Now though with Windows 10 even with the third party file manager, I'm faced with authority issues. And for the first time I am also having to use "Take Ownership" as a solution at times.

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows
Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps. This method works in Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, and it maybe works in XP, though you won’t need it there.

Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for “Take Ownership” that will handle all the steps for you. We found this many years ago, and since then it’s been hosted here for everybody to use.
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/TakeOwnership.zip

Reaction score
@Eric Rush, this may help you in managing your files. All through my time on Windows 7 forums I heard people suggest this as a fix. While I used a third party file manager I never needed it. Now though with Windows 10 even with the third party file manager, I'm faced with authority issues. And for the first time I am also having to use "Take Ownership" as a solution at times.

Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/TakeOwnership.zip

Reaction score
Downloaded the zip file. Told W10 to always open zips with Adobe Acrobat. AA can't open it. Sez it's defective. So how do I tell W10 I changed my mind about how I want to open it?

Reaction score
Clifford, when I tried to open the zip, W10 gave me a choice of what program to open it with, I selected Acrobat and checked the Always Do This box. My problem now is, how do I get W10 to NOT try to use Acrobat?

Reaction score
Sorry about that, didn't realize you was looking to change a default file extension app selection.

Start Menu > Settings > System > Default Apps
Scroll to the bottom and select "Choose default apps by file type"
Then scroll to the extension you want to change the default app for.

Edit: You should also have the capability to change the association by clicking properties for the zip file.

Ask a Question