How do I stop W10 from leaving hybrid sleep unauthorised?

Reaction score
That is a frequent problem when I put W10 into hybrid sleep mode*: When I return to the computer after 10 or 15 min, it has left the sleep mode without my authorisation and is fully active again. The only solution I have so far is to shut off the power supply, which I find a bit inconvenient.

* At least I think it is hybrid sleep: It says "Ruhezustand" in my German Windows.

I have disabled the reactivate-on-mouse-touch function and verified that it is not the mouse which causes the reactivation.
I have also disabled "Automatic reboot" (Automatisch Neustart durchführen) under "System, Extended". This is not the culprit, either.

What else can I do to prevent W10 from unauthorised reactivation?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi General,

It most likely is a Task in your Task Scheduler that is awakening the sleeping giant. Possibly the Windows Update Service Task.

Something you could trial to see if it alleviates the issue would be to modify a registry entry that controls whether a computer powers down or can reboot after a shutdown.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • A User Account Control alert will appear. Click Yes
  • In the Command Prompt: Administrator window that opens type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v PowerdownAfterShutdown

Press Enter key to execute

This ought to return some information indication the Default data value is currently set to 0

If that is the case then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v PowerDownAfterShutdown /d 1

Press Enter key to execute

You will be prompted to confirm overwriting the value. Type Y then press Enter key

If all goes well you will be informed of successful completion.

Sample image

sample.png

Now try hibernation or sleep mode to test whether it awakens in this 15 minute time period you mentioned. If it does not then job done for now.

Note: When installing updates, you may wish to change the value back to 0 by doing as above but entering:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v PowerdownAfterShutdown /d 0

Then press Enter key and type Y to confirm an overwrite, and press Enter key again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this some more, and it occurred to me given you mentioned its waking at the 15 minute mark is it possible your email application is set to check for new email every quarter hour.

Theoretically it ought not be doing that if your computer is hibernating, but its possible there are still a few bugs in the new Outlook and/or Windows 10 Mail app.

It might be worth checking in on that if the other suggestion does not help.

Reaction score
"still a few bugs in the new Outlook and/or Windows 10 Mail app."

Darn. Curioser and curioser. That is (at least) the second time you have mentioned that "App". I am aware that there is one for androids. Is it that to which you refer?

But, thread focus. As Regedit says, it could be the mail program and/or the updates
I am 100% certain that your german to English is better than mine, but I imagine that "Ruhezustand" means hibernating (resting, rather than hibernating)
If you want to try it with the hibernate off, then , in a Command Prompt (Admin) paste

powercfg -h off and press Enter
to turn it on again:
powercfg -h on and press Enter

Confirm that you are, indeed, in Sleep mode:
Settings - System - Power and sleep
It should be, I think, 15 minutes by default.

Another source:
Device manager.
Click "Network Adapters"
Right click each, that you may be using, and "Properties"
Click the "Power management" tab and deselect "Allow the device to waken the computer". ASgain, it should be off by default

Reaction score
Always worth repeating.
Be aware, when you modify the registry (Very unwise) it may be refreshed with a "cumulative update", but, most certainly, with the forthcoming big update/upgrade

Reaction score
I am using Thunderbird, not Outlook, and it is not operating in background mode when I shut it off. I will first try Regedit32's approach and see whether this changes anything. BTW, I noticed that at other times when I return to the computer it has not powered up but the light in the power button is blinking at a 1 s interval. Alas, the hardware instructions keep silent on what this means. Pushing the button powers up as normal.

Reaction score
If you check it just after it wakes, you could run the command below and possibly see what woke it. Use an administrative command prompt.

powercfg /lastwake

There are several other switches you can use with the command to get info about the situation.. Use powercfg /? to see a list.

Reaction score
Well, it has just happened again, so I am afraid that regedit32's suggestion did not work.

Powercfg /lastwake gives the following results:
"Aktivierungsverlaufsanzahl = 1 (activation count?)
Aktivierungsverlauf [0]
Aktivierungsquellenanzahl = 0 (activation source number)"

Not really telling.
And it is very curious that many options explicitly suggested by powercfg /?, such as "/DEVICEDISABLEWAKE", result in "invalid parameter". It wouldn't be Microsoft if anything worked ...

P.S.: I take it from the events log that at the critical time, Security-SPP started. caller=wmiprvse.exe. Butb why did it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If something was waking it, like the network, it should show that. if something was actually keeping it from sleeping, the /requests switch would help.

The /sleepstudy or /systemsleepdiagnostics might also help or even /requests or /waketimers.

I do note the commands regard waking from sleep and no mention of hibernation might mean we need a different utility.

The disable device works but you need specifics about the device..

Reaction score
I have tried something else and disabled the wake parameter of the network card (why are they ON on default in the first place? Does the NSA want to read my hard disk at night?). This morning, the power button was again blinking. BUT - the results of the commands that you suggested are now these:

/systemsleepdiagnostics: "Invalid parameter - try /? for Help"
/requests: Five entries, each recording "none"
/sleepstudy: "low energy - idling is not available on this computer. The tool cannot be executed."
/waketimers: "No waketimers are active on this system"
/lastwake: ... "Source of activation, Type: Button, Power button"

Well, that's something. So it didn't switch fully on any more. But why was it blinking?

Reaction score
If you look at the control panel under security and maintenance, you can change the time Automatic Maintenance is run. You might try setting it to a daytime hour to see if it makes any difference. I believe it does wait until the system is inactive so it may not happen at the exact time.

I have also been getting errors about Microsoft Push notifications. "The system is not configured correctly in the low power state", or something similar...

The fact the system wakes and goes back to sleep so you actually wake it up prior to running the powercfg command may keep it from showing the actual overnight wake event.

Reaction score
I have discovered meanwhile that the blinking means the system has reactivated in the meantime, then went to energy-conserving mode. The current situation is that the system reactivates after a mere few minutes, whatever the daytime, Powercfg /lastwake gives only 0 values. This is really getting on my nerves.

Ask a Question