How long will Windows 10 last?

Reaction score
Here in Australia we have a Microsoft ad with heaps of toddlers in it.
While we get to see the toddlers the narration says that these toddlers wont have to worry about this and that because when they grow up they will be totally use to Windows 10.
So let's say that average age of the toddlers is 3 and we jump ahead 10 years (13 years old ) you are led to believe that these children will still be using Windows 10.
Now having come from the DOS 3.3 days Microsoft have not sat on their hands with an operating system anything like 10 years.
So my question is, is Microsoft going to stop at Windows 10 ( nah they wont do that ) so basically it is false advertising.

Reaction score
As I understand it, Windows 10 is going to be continually updated, possibly even with SPs. So, I guess in a few years time, we will just refer to it as "Windows"
There is nothing unusal in this, imho. Many software programs keep the same name for eternity. I will admit, though, that in the background, with many, is that thing in brackets -Ver no.xxx

Reaction score
HI Dave, thanks for your reply however, if the ad just said Windows I could accept that but they are saying Windows 10. Also the more I read on this forum about Win 10 the more I'm getting that old Millennium feeling. I just wish Microsoft would complete the operating system then sell it rather than giving out a free upgrade. It just seems to me like they are getting the general public to beta test it. Just my opinion as I said..

Reaction score
This is becoming a bit of a chestnut.

Believe me, when I say I have now completed several installations, through the upgrade path and, subsequently, having registered the key, through a fresh installation, for family, colleagues and oldies, for whom I work. Apart from a couple of known bugs in Edge and Cortana, I have not had any feedback on serious problems in the OS. A lot of expected enquiries on "How do I-..etc"
I very often find it difficult to simulate the problems about which I read on forums such as this.
Windows 10 is, for me, a bit of a puzzle, but for other reasons. I have stated, over and over, even at meetings involving MS, that, imo, we have been conned into accepting a new OS which is, to all intents and purposes, Windows 8.2.
It is marginally a better performer all round but, apart from two significant new add-ons,, and a general shuffle around things such as the start menu, I can detect no other differences.
One thing I am sad about. I do think the OEM people were too quick to put Windows 10 computers on the market. Why the rush? They could have kept Windows 8.1 on the new machines, but with explicit instructions regarding the upgrade option. After all, it was free! What exactly is the benefit, when they could have continued, as they were, with a built in, paid up, Windows 8.1

Reaction score
I am not suggesting, or pointing, towards any users on this site who are having problems, JM, but it should be noted that when the download/install, checks your device, before commenicing, it is able to compare your key with those blacklisted on the MS server Dbase. Whilst, in most cases, the install will go ahead, I do believe that it is designed that way. IE. To screww up the counterfeit OS it has found. This can also be double checked in the subsequent updates, which can do the same damage. Can't knock it. It is MS's method of ensuring their income and, maybe)?) a genuine attempt to stop piracy.
Either way, it does result in a "sick" installation, with subsequent cries for help!

A couple of points to consider:

An extract from the MS conditions update:
"We may automatically check your version of the software, which is necessary to provide the Services and download software updates or configuration changes, without charging you, to update, enhance and further develop the Services, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates shall be subject to these Terms unless additional or other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. If you decline to accept the additional or other terms applicable to the updates, you may not receive or use the updates. Microsoft isn't obligated to make any updates available and doesn't guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software."

See the full text here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ser...92X590208X95b4a37551d5d3a3f8222f7b96623058)()

Reaction score
I have just finished becoming more legitimate. In order to activate 10 on the dual boot I had to purchase a new product key from Microsoft. Then like a complete idiot I failed to keep a copy of it after activation. I just downloaded Magical Jelly Bean key finder on all 3 OS's. Now I have a record of what is what. Live and learn.

Reaction score
Good thinking my friend!
Try a program called Balarq. It will analyse your computer and give you the info on almost everything you have - including all the keys for you software.
I ahve just posted this in another thread, but:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for that! I just downloaded it on the Win 10 and both sides of the dual boot. My N5050 which is where the dual boot is is sluggish at best but even so the download was fairly quick considering all the information gathered.

I like it. Thanks again.

Ask a Question