How remove previous owner/user and set myself as administrator

Reaction score
My husband got a MacBook computer and gave me his HP laptop on which he had recently upgraded to Windows 10. We tried setting me up as a family user but my sign-on is inconsistent and it sometimes does not recognize me and I get very disgusted. He and I both would like to just delete him as the main user (Maintaining his files, however) and set me up as the main owner/user/adminsitrator, with no sign-on passwords required. We are retired and never take the computer out of the house so no user security is needed. How can we delete him as main user and set myself up as the owner/user with administrative rights.

Reaction score
I think you must let someone other than yourself be assigned as the administrator then let them change it. Sounds crazy but that's what I was told.

Reaction score
Please backup all user files. Removing user ID will delete any data under said user data folders.

You will need to make sure your account is set with administrator privileges. If not your account will need to be made an administrator from an account that does have administrator privileges. Once your account has administrator privileges sign in to your account and remove all other user accounts.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

NOTE: Substitute the User Name of your choice for "JohnSmith"

Be sure to inspect the results before going forward.
Right click the Start Button and choose Control Panel
Top right corner change "View by:" drop down to small icons.
Click "User Accounts"
Click "Manage another account"
All user accounts on your machine should be listed and contain "Administrator" designation (which is very important) the new User you just created must be a member of the local Administrator's Group and not a "Standard" User.
After you have confirmed that you've got the new user account established and that the account is a member of the local administrator's group, then you can simply highlight the account you wish to delete, select delete account and choose "Keep Files"

Ask a Question