How to Avoid requirement for Pin or Password?

Reaction score
Sitting here in my heavily fortified compound with no visitors allowed near my billion dollar PC and in full control of everything else in the the house, the whole property AND this room...
a password or even a Pin is nothing but an unjustified pain in the ass.

How does one change the setting in a Windows 10 PC to rid himself of this nuisance ?

Reaction score
You've asked about 2 different things: first one avoids it by not entering them during the initial setup and using a Local Account [did it with 2 refurbs in last few months] and second one is changing afterwards which probably would be best accomplished by setting up a new Local Account then deleting the old. This does not apply to a Microsoft Account.

Reaction score
I do not believe I was offered any alternative during setup of the machine. The only obvious alternative was to avoid entering a long password and instead enter a Pin, which I chose to do. What is a "Local Account?" I am concerned that deleting my current "Account" in effect probably disables my email client and other things that depend on/refer to that Account. That also affects the "User" for the machine doesn't it? None of this is comfortable.

Whether there is or not there should be a more direct, and simple means of changing how I access a box sitting in my house. One that does not upend other things.

Reaction score
I haven't run into any of my clients being offered only a choice of the PIN, always needed the Password first which then got the PIN associated with it. They all used Webmail/Online E-Mail which did not get affected.

Reaction score
I would add to that, make yourself Administrator in Settings/accounts & you'll not need a PIN or password. Or you can edit the registry using regedit:
Use Registry Editor and find: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\CredentialProviders\AllowPINLogon

1. Disable PIN logon: Click on "Allow PIN sign-in".In right pane find Policytype and double click and set number in Edit DWORD pop up to 1 to allow a PIN at logon, or 0 to disable a PIN sign in. Click OK. Then a user on your Windows 10 can't set up or use a PIN.
2. Disable Picture password logon: In left pane click on "Block picture password ". In right pane, go to policytype, double click and set number in Edit DWORD pop up to 1 to BlockPicture password or 0 to disable. Then click ok. Now a user in your Windows 10 can't set up or sign in with a picture password. 1 is yes 0 is no.

Auto logon Administrator:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\WindowsLogon\AllowAutomaticRestartSignOn Set policytype to 1 to allow or 0 to disable.

Ask a Question