SOLVED How to cancel Start up showing at power up screen. (real nasty one).

Reaction score
Without any warning at power up, the screen displayed "Start up" and clicking it sent into a repeat loop without any starting computer normally. After many attempts to clear the loop, I am now left with the only option of after boot shows [Prepare repair] finishes, then screen shows [Choose an option], [Use Device] [UEFI SanDisk] [Return to Windows]. Clicking [UEFI SanDisk] options and waiting a few minutes, the computer opens and functions normally. The Welcome icon is no longer part of the start up. As mentioned by me, a real nasty this one, never experienced the likes in my over forty years in computing. Has any other member experienced this? I certainly hope, someone can help as if not, trouble remains with present start up.
Help will certainly be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Well 131 other readers have read this Topic and again this error turns out to be unique to myself, how unlucky can I be. At present only solution is carrying out screen entries available.
Start up computer shows a screen caption [Prepare automatic repair] but appears it achieves only one solution to click in [Choose an Option] then [Use Device] then [UEFI - SanDisk], await to complete. Welcome screen appears, on completion, normal usage of computer is now possible.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie sincere thanks for latest help. Tried out sfc /Scannow on three separated times and each showed no errors found. Finally tried DISM health, this too showed no errors found. As said this error has to be the mother of all. Tried also earlier a Recovery of Windows, proved to be negative.
What started this in the first place me typing in PowerShell (Admin), Shell:Startup a tip in a Forum read and probably a scam by a sick minded member. Appears what is needed is a miracle to solve. Again thanks.

Reaction score
DISM was run again with result successful same as sfc /scannow. A Restore point was also ran but showed again it was unsuccessful with an error Ox80070005 what ever it means.

Reaction score
If you were running Shell:startup to launch a program at boot, you were supposed to open that from the run dialog box, not powershell. There's a different set of commands to do that from powershell, which is quite a bit more complicated. I'm not sure if there's a way to undo it. Unfortunately you may need to reinstall windows. You can do that and keep your files, although you would need to reinstall most of your apps.

Reaction score
High BigFeet,
How stupid can I be for carrying out the Shell:Startup and certainly now paying the price. As you say is to finding the procedure to reverse it. At startup now, caption bottom of screen shows [Prepare Automatic repair] is the first time that I have come across this and how to repair. On having this error ran the Windows 10 Recovery which proved not the answer. At the moment until this mess is solved will require me start up with what is available. This mess that I am in at the moment, is a mess, a gigantic mess at that.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Last time that I tried to download now buttons, Malware blocked it as a PUP and recommended not to continue. If Malware says not to proceed I abide with their warning especially if not sure about the download.

Reaction score
Read an entry on PowerShell relating to my Topic. In PowerShell(Admin) was an entry type Remove -item-path C:\test folder. Then press Enter. Entry that I made before mess up was PowerShell:Startup.

Reaction score
Hi BigFeet,
As you mentioned in your reply, it would mostly require a re-install of Windows 10. What appears in what I did with my last reinstall was use of the Windows-media 1903 when more appropriate was Windows-media 2004. This is what I used again, this proved to be correct, as now thankfully to be correct. Computer now at power up install correctly and no Prepare Automatic Repair is visible.

Reaction score
If Malware says not to proceed I abide with their warning especially if not sure about the download.
Hi Rab,

yes you can get those warning especially when you are on an unknown website. It is indeed sensible not to continue if you are on a website that is not well known to you!. :)

Reaction score
Wolfie,
Why spend money on software like Malwarebytes and then just ignore their warning not to continue with the website. A warning is a warning, only a fool would ignore it and then wonder as to why their computer is now up the creek and then crying out for help from people like yourself.

Ask a Question