SOLVED How to change smtp port outlook windows 10

Reaction score
I have windows 10 up to date on my desktop with outlook the free version

I get the pasted in msg when I send email

SmtpConnectionFailedPermanentException: Failed to connect to SMTP Server 'smtp.cox.net' Port '465'.

Check your SMTP server settings. --> Couldn't connect to the SMTP server with address

smtp.cox.net.Failure code: c9e

contacted my ISP which is cox in Tulsa OK.

They tell me I have to change my smtp port to 465 and in fact sent me a set of instructions to do it

only problem is after lots of searches I cannot find the way to change the port numbers

anyone have a place where I can get some help

much appreciated

dave

Reaction score
It may be difficult to find help for the "free version of Outlook", have never seen it. Trial version Yes, Office 365 Trial, or something included with the computer by the vendor/builder. Which version number do you have? Current is Office 365 and Office 2016. My Office 2013 Account Settings uses Port 991 for POP3/IMAP Incoming and Port 465 for SMTP Outgoing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume you're talking about the native "MAIL" app that is build into Windows 10???
I'm confused as you report that
They tell me I have to change my smtp port to 465 and in fact sent me a set of instructions to do it
But the error that you are reporting is
SmtpConnectionFailedPermanentException: Failed to connect to SMTP Server 'smtp.cox.net' Port '465'
Which would seem to suggest that you're already using the port that they want you to change it to, which is probably not going to be productive.

Reaction score
outlook is the one that came with windows 10

I got more checking to do looks like I got the port right but obviously something else is also wrong

back to the drawing board more after that

Reaction score
Under the outgoing settings is it set up thus: smtp.cox.net:465:1 ? If not then this is how you add port settings in the Windows Mail app.

Reaction score
the URL I use to access outlook is outlook.live. com. I used the free hotmail for many years and Microsoft automatically converted me to this email product some time ago. Worked great till I got a email from my ISP Cox in Tulsa OK, that I needed to change smtp to 465. As they had updated their system. I had problems finding out how to do this on outlook but finally found the procedure. Did the changes and got a update in progress message that ran all day yesterday. Checked email today and surprised to see some email messages go out some not. The error msg I get is c9e and by googling I cannot find a solution for that error code.

outlook incoming email is working fine.

I checked with Cox Support for help, they had zero help said to check with Microsoft. Could find no help but did find this forum, which I appreciate the help so far.

I keyed in a smtp port change to 465 early today. Looking at that option on outlook.live gives me the msg update in progress but shows smtp port as 465

presently outlook.live sending outgoing email seems to be working hit or miss.

I will keep looking for a solution and appreciate any and all comments.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
outlook.live.com is a browser facilitated web based email interface.
I seldom use it but when I check my account which is a Microsoft based (Hotmail) account the smtp defaults to port 587 which seems to work fine as far as I can tell from within my browser (IE)

Capture.PNG

IF you configured a "Connected account" as I just did with my own Comcast email and configure the settings manually you can enter port 465 in the appropriate box.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Yesterday I was able to change the ports for the second time. I got the update processing all day yesterday and still get it this morning after shutting down the desktop last night. However, the send function is now working.

Every one who gave me feedback I appreciate your help. All the other places I went to did not help much including the Microsoft official helps pages. I thank poster "Trouble" for their detailed feed back as before this time I knew little about outlook.live trouble shooting.

Thanks again to all who posted and thanks to whomever started this forum.

dave

I will consider this one closed soon as this reply happens.

Ask a Question