SOLVED How To Delete Hibernation File

Reaction score
i can't delete the hibernation file on my new hp laptop.. never used hibernation and its not listed on the power button, but there is a 1,37 GB hibernation file listed under system and reserved in settings. typing powercfg.exe -h off in command prompt doesn't work. thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
After typing
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
in an elevated command prompt (Command Prompt (Admin)
Did you reboot the computer to determine if the hiberfil.sys file was still present?
Generally I believe that it deletes itself.
IF not then with hibernation set to off, you should be able to delete it manually.

Reaction score
Right click the start and select the command prompt (Admin)
Copy and paste
powercfg -h off
and press Enter
Doesn't work, "Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution" Still says 1,37GB under Hibernation file, when I've never used the Hibernation file.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
After typing
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
in an elevated command prompt (Command Prompt (Admin)
Did you reboot the computer to determine if the hiberfil.sys file was still present?
Generally I believe that it deletes itself.
IF not then with hibernation set to off, you should be able to delete it manually.
Please see my reply to davehc. How can I delete it manually?

Reaction score
Did Trouble's text also fail? I have just tried both on 2 computers and they worked 100%??

You did use the command prompt (Admin)? The error you have indicated would show if you used the standard Command prompt.

Reaction score
That is exactly what happened. ran dee, you need to run the command prompt as Administrator otherwise you get the error message you have experienced.
search for CMD.exe . in the search result rightclick on cmd.exe and choose [run as administrator]. confirm the UAC message that you want to run it. then try that command again (powercfg.exe -h off )

Reaction score
I do think that my explicit explanation of how to open the Administrative command prompt should have been sufficient?

Reaction score
He did. If your explanation helps, it is the OP's fault for not following instructions. You only repeated what both davehc and Trouble commented.
true that is but some users do not know how to run a program with elevated admin rights. That's why I tried to explain it a little more in detail on how to get it to the elevated level.

Reaction score
That is exactly what happened. ran dee, you need to run the command prompt as Administrator otherwise you get the error message you have experienced.
search for CMD.exe . in the search result rightclick on cmd.exe and choose [run as administrator]. confirm the UAC message that you want to run it. then try that command again (powercfg.exe -h off )
Thanks! It worked. Thanks to everyone who helped out, appreciate it.

Ask a Question