How to disable OneDrive

How to disable OneDrive

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

How to disable OneDrive - Instructions on how to disable OneDrive in Windows 10

Microsoft OneDrive is a cloud based storage service, which makes it easy to access your files from other PCs. If you sign in to Windows 10 using a Microsoft Account, you'll find this is enabled by default. This app is tightly integrated in to Windows 10, with an icon appearing in the system try and file explorer - even if you don't want to use it.

The following steps will disable OneDrive and prevent the close knit integration.

To begin, press Windows Key + R and type in...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Is GPedit available for Windows 10 Home or does the lack of availability need to be made in the write up?

Reaction score
But a nice tutorial!

I don't think Gpedit was ever available in "Home" editions. I once wrote a hack (I think maybe in the Windows 7 Site), but I had so many posts and PMs saying the hack didn't work that I withdrew it. fwiw - It worked for me on a home release.)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks :). I've updated the article just a couple of moments ago to reflect the different methods.

Reaction score
Hi, I tried your information to disable onedrive and it hasnt worked...my laptop is still uploading its got another 22.5GB to go....thing is when i shut the laptop down for the night it appears to start from scratch the next day.....it will never be done, and I didnt want it done anyway...how can i stop this....please help....

Reaction score
I followed the instructions to disable OneDrive.
Now I do not see an icon in the Systray but I still see OneDrive in file explorer.
2 questions:
Should OneDrive be deleted from File explorer?
Is there a way to determine if OneDrive has actually been disabled?
Thanks

Reaction score
I don't think there is any option in Msconfig, to stop it starting.
Right clicking the task manager - start tab will allow you to disable it.

Reaction score
I don't think there is any option in Msconfig, to stop it starting.
Right clicking the task manager - start tab will allow you to disable it.

You are right, you can stop just about anything else. I used Windows 10 Manager to stop it from starting.

Reaction score
I use Google for my Cloud storage. it is more cross platform for all my devices. I do not like this "Mommy Knows Best" attitude that Microsoft has. OneDrive.... it is forced upon us. Why? If it is so good, we will use it. If not it can die on the vine. But... in this case... they are driving me back to Windows 7. The use of Windows 7 will be only for those few programs that will not work on my Linux. Good-bye Microsoft.

PS: I posted this on my Facebook, and I got over a dozen of my friends who told me they were rolling theirs back to 7 too... and some that said they will never move forward to 10.

?? What is Microsoft doing ??

Reaction score
I think that these people maybe overly concerned about Telemetry and privacy issues that are blown way out of proportion. I do not use One Drive because I don't like it. All of my privacy settings are at default. These people have to remember that it is like that old saying" What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." Well what you put on "The Net, stays on The Net"

Reaction score
What about the files we put on our machine? Do we really need to worry about some privacy settings to ensure our livelihood stays on our machines? This cloud/privacy crap is getting out of hand and making it more difficult to know where/when our files are being stored. It's getting to where sharing is no longer on-demand and more automated whether we want it that way or not. The day is coming where we will no longer have the option to disconnect much less worry about privacy settings while connected.

Ask a Question