SOLVED How to get an on screen shortcut to restart & power off laptop in Windows 10

Reaction score
I want to be able to have an icon on my laptop screen that allows me to restart the laptop or to power off the laptop, rather than to go through multiple clicks via the Windows logo. Is this possible?

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... I just did two myself on my machine and found that they both work as advertised.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
IDK.... I just did two myself on my machine and found that they both work as advertised.

View attachment 5925
Many thanks for your followup. I tried it again, but it did not work as you outlined above, but your 2 images above led me to wonder whether it was because I have a 64 bit machine. I did some more searching on the WWW for restart shortcut to Windows 10 with 64 bit" and came upon several options, each a little different. This one worked: I follow everything you said at the start above, but instead of typing in the location of item window "Shutdown -r -t 00 " in the shortcut command window, I used "%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0" for shutdown and "%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0" for restart. Both substitutions worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you managed to resolve your issue and thanks for the follow-up information.

Ask a Question