How to pin programs to start and tiles?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm fairly new to Windows 10 and everything is going well except for pinning programs to the start menu. Here are three programs giving me issues with this:

FastStone Image Viewer
Hyper-V Manager
Microsoft Movie Maker

I am able to run the programs if I go find them in Program Files, and I've created shortcuts to them on my desktop and in the task bar. However, they do not show up in the list of All Apps, and they don't turn up in a search from the search bar. I've added them to ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and rebooted, and it did not add them to the Apps. What should I do? Thank you!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to find Hyper-V Manager in the all apps menu, down at the bottom it is under "W" -> Windows Administrative Tools..... right click and "pin to start"
For movie maker have a look down in the "W" area as well. If you are talking about the product that is part of Live Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials
I think it is down there also but listed as Windows Movie Maker
FastStone Image Viewer I can't help with but check
C:\Program Files
OR
C:\Program Files (x86)
If you find the .exe you should be able to right click and pin it as well.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, and thanks for your quick reply. I don't have either of those Windows programs in any of the folders that start with "Windows." I've right-clicked on all of them and chosen "pin to start" but it doesn't do anything. How does Windows 10 determine what goes in the All Apps list? The collection I have in ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs isn't nearly as large as what I see in All Apps, and it can't be scanning Program Files because it's missing too many (the three I've listed are just examples). I'm not experiencing any other issues.

Reaction score
What happens if you type the name of the program in the search bar?
If it shows up at the pop-up, can you right click at it and choose pin to start?

Reaction score
What happens if you type the name of the program in the search bar?
If it shows up at the pop-up, can you right click at it and choose pin to start?
If I use the search bar to search for any of the programs it simply suggests Web searches. None of them show up. As an example, if I type "movie" then Movies & TV shows up with some other things. If I type "movie maker" then it doesn't find any applications at all.

Reaction score
I read that "Hyper-V is only available in Windows 10 Pro, Education, and Enterprise editions"
Yep, and it's working just fine. It's nice to not need VMware anymore. I haven't done a ton of testing with it yet, but it seems to work just as well as Workstation. I've found a few websites that don't work on Windows 10 (my banking site, for example) so a Windows 7 VM is a good solution.

Reaction score
Yep, and it's working just fine. It's nice to not need VMware anymore. I haven't done a ton of testing with it yet, but it seems to work just as well as Workstation. I've found a few websites that don't work on Windows 10 (my banking site, for example) so a Windows 7 VM is a good solution.
Wow your fast. I added another comment to that last post. Did you see it?

Reaction score
Wow your fast. I added another comment to that last post. Did you see it?
Yep, I had Movie Maker installed with Windows 7 before I upgraded to Windows 10, and I've successfully used it on this Windows 10 installation. All of the programs are working just fine, but I can't get them to show up in All Apps.

Reaction score
You may have to reload them. I know that I was using Chromes browser I had to actually load it to get it to show up there.

Reaction score
Hyper-V is a brand new installation on this machine. I have not used it until after my Windows 10 upgrade. FastStone is also a brand new installation. I think that Movie Maker is a good part of this test because it existed before the upgrade, to show that isn't a factor. If you all need more examples of programs that aren't showing up, I can find some. I don't think it's the programs themselves that are causing the issue...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hyper-V Manager.png
NewMovieMaker.png
OldWinMovieMaker.png

Reaction score
Hyper-V is a brand new installation on this machine. I have not used it until after my Windows 10 upgrade. FastStone is also a brand new installation. I think that Movie Maker is a good part of this test because it existed before the upgrade, to show that isn't a factor. If you all need more examples of programs that aren't showing up, I can find some. I don't think it's the programs themselves that are causing the issue...
After the upgrade is the key words here. It is now that you might have to reinstall them no matter that they were installed before. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Trouble, those are the apps I'm not seeing, yes.

Dan99, two of the three programs in this example have been installed well after I upgraded.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you considered creating a new user? (administrator's group member not standard user).
Just to see if there is something about the particular profile you are currently using that is causing the issue.

Reaction score
I have "Moves & TV" but no Movie Maker. The program works just fine if I open it from Program Files.
If the programs run from those locations, do you not have "pin to" options when you right click them instead of running them?

OK I've just reread and see that they don't. That's messed up!

Reaction score
Just curious. What do you see in Settings/System/Apps and Features?

Reaction score
Have you considered creating a new user? (administrator's group member not standard user).
Just to see if there is something about the particular profile you are currently using that is causing the issue.
Good idea! I'll do that next. Is it fairly straightforward to remove that user when I'm done with testing? I haven't created a new user in Windows 10.

Ask a Question