How to remove bitlocker encryption

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I juste bought a used computer but the drive bas been encrypted with bitlocker and i dont have the key.

All i want to do is format it and install LTSC. The problem is that im totally stuck bcz of this bloody encryption. I dont have access to windows, as it crashes. It tried removing it using the command prompt, but i had no luck, it returned a "locked drive msg".

So, would you guys have any idea on how to get rid of the encryption? Would doing it from another computer, using the encrypted drive as an USB one work? Or will i have to trash the drive and buy a new one?

Tks for your precious help.

Reaction score
Can you boot from the Windows installation media & either clean install Windows or use cmd prompt to clean the drive?

Reaction score
Hi,
Unfortunately i cant. Whatever i do, the system asks me the bitlocker key. I tried to boot and repair the system from there, and run cmd from there, but that's where it says "locked drive".

Would it be any way to remove this encryption from another computer on this drive plugged as an USB one? Or will i encounter permission issue?

I dont mind formatting the drive as i dont need what's on it.

Cheers

Reaction score
A clean install shouldn’t require the bitlocker key.
You’d boot from the installation media & choose to delete the partitions. Is this not possible?
I would expect that the drive would still be locked & the key required.

Reaction score
I finally managed to format the drive from the cmd prompt (recovery) typing the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list volume
clean
create part pri
active
format fs=ntfs label=C quick
format fs=ntfs label=surface quick
assign letter=C
exit

The case is close then, Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question