How to run 16 bit exe on Win 10 64 bit?

Reaction score
I bought a car service manual on Fleabay, I downloaded it but it got stuck at 99% when I tried to open it? I've had a look on the net for a solution but they seem too complicated for me? (DropBox & winedvm) I've also asked the seller how I can open it, that was this morning but I haven't had a reply, yet? Any ideas I could try?

Reaction score
My only guess would be 32 bit virtual machine. A 16 bit or 32 bit virtual machine would be the only way to support anything 16 bit.

Reaction score
Usually manuals are PDF documents, only need something like the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to use them. But the mention of .exe format suggests it may be a self-decompressing file, will be much harder to work with as the 64-bit version of Win10 doesn't really work with 16-bit apps, as suggested may need a 32-bit OS. WinXP could do it or maybe Win7.

Reaction score
I just found some replies in my junk mail? Anyway, the seller replied he explained that it was an old document and I had to click on another part of the download using Adobe (ESM application) to open it to a picture of the car but even then it took me about 20 minutes to go from there? For some reason, I had to click on a Vin number to open it up properly? Then I thought Oh yes, of course, the Vin number of a random car is what should open a car manual! Silly me. Ha! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the help fellas, it's appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi redrooster,

glad you have it sorted, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Reaction score
Just one more thing, I came across a Ulead Photo Express 2 disc last night and decided to try it. Surprisingly it was Copyrighted 1992-1998 and installed on Win10 2004 64-bit. It installed okay and seems to work but only for photos, not video, but there is a problem with adjusting the window size on a 1440x900 screen, it won't.

Reaction score
To install 16 bit exe file on windows 10, you need to follow these steps
  • First, enable NTVDM feature in your window
  • For this, press win+r key and type optionalfeatures.exe and hit enter
  • Now expand Legacy Components then check off NTVDM and click OK
  • Now press Win+X key and click Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Now type - ONDUE.exe /enable-feature:NTVDM
  • The add feature wizard for NTVDM will launch.
  • Install this feature to complete the installation.
  • Restart your computer if required.

Ask a Question