Looking to find a tool to document my Windows install prior to running a reset.

Reaction score
I have been using my PC for a few years and its time to do a reset and wipe the machine using the built in options. But I would really love to find something that can document the whole installation, paths for icons and commands etc, desktop scripts, apps installed and where. environment vars etc. So I can put it back exactly the way it was prior to running the reset. Does a tool exist? -Bill

Reaction score
I think you mean imaging?
Plenty of tools to do that, but the most recommended is Macrium (Free).
Download and install it. Then, look for the menu item to make a bootable media - normally a usb plug these days.
Either run Macrium, as is, or reboot using the freshly made usb device. Follow the instructions to "Backup" and select a safe place - preferably an external device.
If you have any difficulties, please return to the forum and make another post Lots of guys eager to help here.

Reaction score
I was not looking for backup software, just something that would write out (document) what I had where. I use iDrive to back things up. Its kind of moot now though. made copies of things and screen printed paths and other things. I would have liked to have something I could run monthly or whenever so I cant forget what I have or was using. thanks! -Bill

Reaction score
I understand. I am not aware of any apps that can do that, but they probably exist.
You can, of course, with a program like Macrium, back up selected portions of you computer, but this is not what you are looking for?
A dbase would be the answer, but you still need to make the entries/list manually

Reaction score
I guess what you are looking for is a PC inventory program such as Belarc Advisor.

Ask a Question