Looking for tool on Windows 7 to check program-compatibility with Windows 10

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm seeking to buy a new PC; but first, I gotta know if all my important programs will still work with Windows 10.

So I'm looking for a compatibility checker tool that can scan my current Windows 7 PC and tell me which of my programs might (not) work properly on Windows 10, even the eccentric old or "indie developed" ones that aren't in any "compatibility lists" online and haven't gotten updated in 15 years. ;)

I know Microsoft used to offer a tool like this when Windows 10 first came out, but now I can't find it.

Only tools I found go straight to "install windows 10 on this PC / prepare Windows 10 installation files on a USB-stick".

...Also, what about "feature updates"? When buying a Windows 10 PC, do I have to live in constant fear that one day it'll suddenly say "yeah, remember your old drawing and animation software? They're incompatible now. Also, you need to buy a new tablet."? :eek:

Quite frankly, the prospect of "feature" updates are the biggest turn-off of Windows 10 for me. For all I know, 5 years from now, programs or hardware I've used for years might suddenly stop working! That sounds terrifying! o_O

Last edited:
Reaction score
The biggest problem with third-party programs can be with the software developers/programmers themselves. Writing for ever-changing Operating Systems relies upon backup support if things go wrong and when that no longer exists the programs sorta "die on the vine". When programs or devices are no longer being sold there is no income to pay the programmers, rather common with printers that can't work with the newer OSes. I have some programs that don't work with Win10 but since they don't need Internet access I keep a WinXP and Win7 just for them.

Reaction score
To access it, Open Control Panel > All Control Items. You will see the Run programs made for previous versions of Windows, under Programs & Features.

Click on it to open the Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. If you use it frequently, you can also create a Program Compatibility Troubleshooter desktop shortcut.

Click Next or the Advanced option, if you don’t want things to be fixed automatically. Windows will try to detect programs you may be facing problems with.

Select the one you want and click Next.
The Troubleshooter will analyze and present a list of problems.

Click on Next to fix the problems.
Windows 10 or Windows 8.1/7 will try to resolve the issues and or alternatively offer you another recourse.
In this way, you will be able to identify the issues and help you make old programs work using Compatibility Mode.

Reaction score
To access it, Open Control Panel > All Control Items. You will see the Run programs made for previous versions of Windows, under Programs & Features.
[...]

In this way, you will be able to identify the issues and help you make old programs work using Compatibility Mode.

Thanks, that will certainly be useful to fix some problems once I do have a Windows 10 PC - but it didn't actually answer my question. ^_^;;

I'm trying to find out, in advance,
which of the programs I'm currently reliant upon in Windows 7 may have such compatibility problems with Windows 10 in the first place. ;)

This actually makes or breaks my decision which PC I'm going to buy. :oops:

Backwards compatibility does not always work flawlessly, and if it turns out that [OBSCURE BUT IMPORTANT PROGRAM] does not work properly on Windows 10, I'd need to bend over backwards trying to find a PC that still supports Windows 7 as a fallback plan (which is considerably difficult these days). o_O

THAT'S why I'm looking for that "Windows 10 compatibility checker" that Microsoft was offering when Windows 10 was first announced. All I can find now are tools that just immediately want to install Windows 10 rather than check if my programs are compatible. :confused:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have some programs that don't work with Win10 but since they don't need Internet access I keep a WinXP and Win7 just for them.

You mean as a Virtual Machine, right? 'Cause I'm a bit worried if Microsoft's intent to block old operating systems would muck that up too. o_O

...Why is a lack of internet access a prerequisite for using them, though? Is it because of lacking security updates, or something else? :oops:

Reaction score
You mean as a Virtual Machine, right? 'Cause I'm a bit worried if Microsoft's intent to block old operating systems would muck that up too.
No, I have actual machines available for WinXP and Win7 plus one for MS-DOS6 with Win3.1.
Why is a lack of internet access a prerequisite for using them, though? Is it because of lacking security updates, or something else?
Yes, the downside of having old OSes is Security is lacking, most times all I need them for is running old programs such as 16-bit and some 32-bit that will not run on Win10. The 32-bit version of Win10 may run some 32-bit programs but trying to run them on the 64-bit version is more problematic.

Reaction score
If you are getting a new Pc why not keep the old one just for those programs with Win 7? as already said.

Reaction score
If you want to know for sure you would need to go to each programs Support or Support Forum and find out if support remains. As mention earlier older obsolete programs don't have anyone updating them. So your choice is to update to newer programs or keep your old computer running 7 to use them. You can always set up a Virtual Machine and run Windows 7 that way also

Ask a Question