Looking for backup software for TBs of data

Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

I've googled so much and tried 10s of applications and I figured I might never find a good solution without asking others so here I am!

The situation is this. I've got a Win 10 PC that I use and I've got a lot of data stored across two drives on it. On C, I'd like to backup users and program files and on D, I'd like to just backup the whole thing. Between the two, I'm hoping to backup about 2TB of data. I tried remote backup to S3 via Cloudberry but the setup is not easy to figure out and the program is incredibly clunky. I started getting just tons of notifications about my S3 exceeding certain limits and the thought of retrieving terabytes of data in a worst case scenario doesn't thrill me. Finally, I'm more of a one and done type of guy instead of leasing space so I'm planning on buying a large drive to backup to another computer on site. I am aware of the risks of data being in one location but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to keep from paying someone to house my crap.

Both computers are win10 and although in the same house, won't necessarily be on the same network(one's wired, one's wireless).

I am trying to find an application that make versioned backups of this data. If it's too much overhead to expect real time backup, I'll take daily to be run lat at night.

I know that there's a lot of options and I'd very much appreciate any thoughts or insight. thanks for your time!

Regedit32

Reaction score
The great catch-22!

Do you pay for more cloud storage, or go buy some external hard drives and manually store it yourself. Either way, $$$ will depart your wallet.

A lot of people seem to like Acronis, [ https://www.acronis.com/en-us/ ] but personally I'm more than satisfied with the built in File History Windows 10 comes with. I like it because it handles purging well [ i.e. removing outdated data backups ], and also can save multiple versions of your data files, thus when things do go bad, you are not limited to a single date stamped backup but can choose to go further back in time for that all important data file.

If you do happen to choose File History - when you set it up - click on OneDrive and remove that - totally pointless backing up a cloud in my personal opinion.

If you have multiple terabytes of data to back up, you probably would be better off using cloud storage, but that will require you to have a very good data package with your ISP, to get speed and secure file transfers that wont corrupt!

Have you considered cloning instead?

That of course will depend on how often you wish to back up your data, but if you are not worried about purging old backups, then maybe that is the cheapest option.

Reaction score
Well, as I always say, Backup is not a software, it is a concept.
My concept is this: weekly backups of my system drive (O/S and programs/apps) via Acronis True image.
Daily backups of my data drive (which contains all documents,photos, music etc) via totalcommander on my internal backup drive and weekly onto two different external drives.
So far it has protected me from any data loss....

If I do larger backups, I usually let them run throughout the night, in the morning they are finished unless something unexpected happened...
So far I am utilizing six external drives (at least 2TB each) and one pc that I use for storage as well.
It might be a little time consuming to do that manually but it always has gotten me through....

Reaction score
Thank you both so much for the help!

I'll take another look at Acronis. To be honest, cloning is better than not having any data but I was hoping for more granular data backup but I'm coming to realize via my searches that versioning or syncing can be a very in-depth, expensive and labor intensive proposition.

I haven't bought the drive for backing up to yet because I'm still on the fence regarding cloud storage. I have 10mbit transfer up and down with no caps. Before I removed the app and deleted the S3 bucket, I had already transfered the drive's data so it seems my connection will support cloud. I just don't like the idea of subscriptions and prefer one-time purchases if possible.

Reaction score
Not a great reason to actually pay (Acronis) when Macrium will fo the job perfectly - and free.

Reaction score
Acronis is free also if you have a Western Digital drive. Acronis stores the Backup in one file, does MR do it too (I dunno, never used it as of now)?

Reaction score
Yep - One file. I hav, on my main computer, about 27 gbs of data. It take 6 or 7 minutes to make the image. Can clone...etc..

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for your help! I think I'd like a versioning system of some sort over a single image or copy of a disk as it allows me historical differences in files without holding on to an entirely different huge image and taking up a ton of additional space that I don't have. I'm going to do some more reading on the built in File History Windows 10 comes with and look at some other software like free file sync, which I already use for client accounts on my remote web servers.

Reaction score
Well, I tried Macrium reflect (free version). It took an hour and 12 minutes to do the image that Acronis does in 15-20 minutes. Same backup even the same backup drive just to eliminate negative factors even same USB port. No bueno at all....

I stick with Acronis. My 2011 (for MBR) and 2014 (for GPT) versions still work perfectly.

Maybe I give it a try at a later time...

Reaction score
For large data sets like yours I personally would keep going with tape or another server such as cloud.

I have not seen a tape in decades (my Boss used to have one which is no longer compatible). Also Tape drives, even the cartridges, are very expensive.

Cloud based backup is IMHO a safety risk. You never know where the cloud based server in the world is (unless its in your home) and who has access to your personal data (IMHO a hackers paradise). Might as well put your personal data on social media for everybody to read.
I DON'T THINK SO.
Just my humble opinion.

Ask a Question