SOLVED How to search for two things at one time?

Reaction score
when i search for a particular word (word1) within all files in my computer, but i am not hundred percent sure that word1 is the right one to search for, i would like to add word2, is it possible to searchfor word1 and word2 at one time?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jaycheung,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you open File Explorer and navigate to the folder containing the files you wish to search, you can then use the search field in the top right corner to search for files which contain one or more words using Boolean words.

Examples:

dog AND cat will search for any file which contains both the word 'dog' and 'cat'

dog OR cat will search for any files which contain either 'dog' or 'cat' [i.e. the file does not need to contain both words]

dog NOT cat will search for any file that contains the word 'dog' but not the word 'cat'

dog AND cat AND bird will search for any file that contains 'dog', and 'cat' and 'bird'

Note: The boolean words (AND, OR, NOT) must be typed in UPPERCASE!

Another way you can achieve this:

content:dog content:cat file:*.txt
  • This searches all files with the extension .txt which contain the word 'dog' or 'cat'
  • If you literally want to search any file type (which will take a while) then leave out the file:*.txt
  • Note: Do not type a space after the colon
    • content:dog is correct!
    • content: dog is not correct!
    • file:*.txt is correct!
    • file: *.txt is not correct!

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Using the search facility will, of course, search all the files, as the op suggests.
My suggestion will do the trick. Cortana will find the folder during the process.

untitled1.png

untitled1.png

untitled3.png

untitled4.png

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• untitled2.png
    untitled2.png
    537.3 KB · Views: 555

Regedit32

Reaction score
Nice one davehc!

Do you happen to know of a Microsoft posting which contains the various Search options apart from Document:

Ask a Question