How to send/receive fax transmissions

Reaction score
I have a new H.P. Pavilion computer.
I would like to set up the capability to send and receive fax messages.
This computer has a standard telephone connector.
I have activated the Fax and Scan program.
I do not want to set up a fax service, because I don't use it enough.
So what do I do ... what do I need... how do I do it... how do I get it?
I have looked at the results of a Google search but I don't understand what they are saying.
Thank you :)

Reaction score
A "standard telephone connector" indicates a Dial-up Modem. In the USA using that means having the traditional telephone line/landline to communicate with a standard FAX machine. Our local cable TV service provides that type of service when subscribed to bundled Internet and Telephone/Voice features. The proliferation of cell/smart phones has lessened the need for the landline, haven't checked if the mobile phone providers have the capability to handle a FAX so it all boils down to what services you have available and if affordable. Using E-Mail with attachments has been growing.

Reaction score
Several free fax services out there. I send/receive only one or two faxes a year so I just plug my fax capable printer into a phone line when I need to.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Several free fax services out there. I send/receive only one or two faxes a year so I just plug my fax capable printer into a phone line when I need to.
Yep....that's me as well. Back in the day that's how it was done and the reason why I got my HP AIO printer which is still kicking at 17 yrs later and hooked up to my PC with the FAX connected and working.....just incase. Back then I would fax 10 to 30 times a year so it was worth getting it.

Reaction score
You've given us nothing to work with. Need information about the computer, where you are located, what All-in-One printer you have that has Fax capability, do you have a traditional phone/land line, etc. An issue exists in that Fax machines need the landline for the communicating and a computer needs the Dial-Up Modem in it to have the landline connected to it. Some Cable/Broadband ISPs that offer bundled Voice can provide Fax service.

Reaction score
Fascinating, and curious, thread for (only) me.
I haven't used a fax machine since somewhere around the Dos days. Cant really remember, but probably until internet/Email became more used.
In my last working environment, and subsequently in my retired life, my customary way of sending documents, assuming I do not have access to an electronic original, is to copy and Email.
I have no knowledge of current practise, but I do suppose there are offices which still find it convenient?

Reaction score
FAX machines are still commonplace in practically any office environment, at least in the US. It's still the preferred method for exchanging documents in the medical and legal fields. I imagine it's something to do with the ease of use versus scanning/sending as an attachment via email (I still encounter people who have difficulty doing this).

You can still use your PC as a FAX machine, Windows comes with this capability. You will need additional hardware - a flatbed scanner and a v.92 modem. You will also need a voice line. Most of the ones provided by your cable company aren't really suited for FAX unless they specifically offer it as such. Even if they don't you can still use it for FAXing but you may have to re-send a few times and also drop the baud rate (standard FAX is 9600 baud, I've had to drop it to 2400 in some instances).

Reaction score
"a flatbed scanner "
Come with most semi advanced printers these days? No extra hardware required. "I still encounter people who have difficulty doing this) " Lol Agreed.
But I don't have any argument - it was just curiosity. My Ex employers actually insisted that I changed to the email method!

Reaction score
I think FAX will eventually die, millenials and younger generations are way more tech savvy then us Gen Xers and older. They were raised with tech unlike us.

Reaction score
Fax is built in to my Epson printer. I do still have an AT&T land line that is hooked up to the printer. I Send faxes with no problem.

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up new fax service in my office. I have been searching for a free fax service. Thank you!
That does give a different spin on the issue and I can only relay what can be done in the USA, other countries have different services available.

Reaction score
I"m a newbie here. I would like to know more about using a fax service. Which fax service is better and reliable?

Reaction score
I"m a newbie here. I would like to know more about using a fax service. Which fax service is better and reliable?
You'll really really need to say where you are, most forums have viewers in pretty much every country in the world and appropriate answers will depend upon where one lives.

Reaction score
My Printer uses Wireless, and has the ability to send/rec fax. the manufacture gives very detailed how to use with wireless internet.
so suggest that if your Printer.Scanner, MFC has the ability to send/receive PC-FAX. if you set properly then you Phone will auto send to PC-Fax for print - just don't answer the damn phone. and it will scan then send via phone also. ring settings are needed also

Reaction score
In the 80's I worked a Telex machine from our office, I was only 1 of 2 people people that knew how it worked, we used a Fax machine too but not very often due to the cost at that time. :cool:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Everyone does realize that this tread is over 2yrs old and the OP has yet to reply. Just saying.

Still some excellent advice being given.

Reaction score
This Google snippet may help you:

Manually Receive a Fax in Windows Fax and Scan
  1. Activate Windows Fax and Scan by clicking on the “start” button, searching for “Fax” in the search box, and then select “Windows Fax and Scan”
  2. Click the Fax option at the bottom left pane.
  3. From the toolbar, select “Receive a Fax Now”.

Ask a Question