SOLVED Windows Live Mail and CANNOT receive mail but CAN send mail.

Reaction score
The best way to do that is to contact your ISP ( internet service provider ). The company that connects you to the internet.
Ask for a technician, and tell him/her the problem.

The alternative is to tell us who is your ISP.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. That would be AT&T. They tell me to check with Microsoft.

Need your server name that is after the @ sign, such as.......
att.net
bellsouth.net
sbcglobal.net

etc etc etc.

Don't worry. What I ask of you is NOT confidential.
I can tell you mine. Mine is ..... @bell.net

Reaction score
Can you use the following info or you still need further assistance.

AT&T POP email account settings:
Note : Customer ID is actually your email address

at&t account settings.jpg

Reaction score
  • Just a suggestion, if similar to Win 7. Open WLM, go to accounts, select server tab - at the bottom of page see if you have a check mark in 'My server requires authentication'. Had the same problem when I had changed my ISP. Check it.

Reaction score
The thread is quite old The OP did not return to the forum after his three posts, so I think he either solved the problem (or gave up?).

Reaction score
davehc. I hadn't checked the date posted, thanks for the heads-up and a Merry Christmas to you.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem and have talked to the technical staff at my ISP and still no success. This started after Defender ran. ISP thinks Defender did something with Outlook. I am now at a loss, can anyone help? server is rr.com

Reaction score
I am having the same problem and have talked to the technical staff at my ISP and still no success. This started after Defender ran. ISP thinks Defender did something with Outlook. I am now at a loss, can anyone help? server is rr.com
Have you checked for a port number and server name changes for the rr.com servers? It may depend on your location but I noticed a change a couple of months ago.

Reaction score
I read another thread on instructions to run a scan via cmd and that worked. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reaction score
  • Just a suggestion, if similar to Win 7. Open WLM, go to accounts, select server tab - at the bottom of page see if you have a check mark in 'My server requires authentication'. Had the same problem when I had changed my ISP. Check it.
I had the same "authentication" issue with one of my email accounts in WLM. Drove me crazy. My ISP tech support worked with me and helped me solve it. In my situation the "reply to" account name was not the same as the account name I was using with the ISP. I All the other accounts were set up the same way and they worked fine - this one wasn't until I checked the box.

Ask a Question