SOLVED How to Stop Pop-Up Windows From Appearing Off-Screen?

Reaction score
I am on Win 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592).

Almost every time I click on a browser link in which a pop-up box with more information is to appear, the window always winds up way offscreen. I have two screens, one the native laptop screen and the other an HDMI-attached monitor, but it doesn't matter which of the two screens the browser is in: the pop-up window goes way off the screen. When I click the browser's program box while open in the taskbar, I can see the window whizzing in from offscreen to minimize, and then whizzing back to the offscreen ether when I click it again.

I can manually bring the window back into view by shift/right-clicking on the program and choosing "maximize", but that's an extra step I wouldn't mind cutting out. What I really want is for the pop-up box to show up on the same screen in the first place, just like it did on my old (Windows 7) computer and, dare I say, as it is supposed to in the first place.

Is this a known issue with a known fix?

Reaction score
Which browser are you using?? In Firefox users can set the popups to appear in a additional tab. I believe that is the same way in chrome.
Can't say much about IE or edge as I do not use them.... at all.

Reaction score
Which browser are you using?? In Firefox users can set the popups to appear in a additional tab. I believe that is the same way in chrome.
Can't say much about IE or edge as I do not use them.... at all.

Thanks for the reply. I use Firefox. Where can I set pop-ups to open in a new tab rather than new window? I scoured settings and the only setting pertaining to pop-ups is whether to allow them at all. Please advise?

Reaction score
this may help:

just a few that I have found. Some are older but still might work

Reaction score
If it works, please mark your thread as solved so others can find the solution as well. thx

Ask a Question