HP P6-2203A desktop videocard stopped working.

Reaction score
The video card stopped working about a year ago so I plugged the monitor into the onboard video processor in the CPU. Now that stopped working so I tried the video card again and it worked? Should I just leave it be or could it lead to something serious going wrong with the computer if I don't fix whatever it is?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Peculiar to say the least (alternating problems between video display resources).
Typically these are dictated by your chosen BIOS Preferences as to which GPU you wish your system to use as default.

That would be my starting point when attempting to investigate and diagnose this issue.

Reaction score
Every time I start the computer up now I have to swap the monitor cable from the onboard plug to the Graphics card or visa versa? I updated the BIOS because this computer is getting old but I can't find anywhere in the BIOS setup to set the graphics? I'm sure I could do that before? Maybe it is because this computer was originally a Win 7 OS and now it's a Win 10 64bit OS or it was the BIOS update I just did? Whatever this is, it's weird!!! lol

Reaction score
I updated the BIOS because this computer is getting old but I can't find anywhere in the BIOS setup to set the graphics?
Every computer with the onboard/built in video adapter that I've used an Add-in card with did not have a way to disable that onboard adapter in the BIOS. Logically that makes sense because if the Add-in card is removed or dies there has to be a video connection of some time the computer is booted.

I was called upon to fix a monitor issue that frequently required unplugging the power cord from the monitor, replaced it. Haven't run into your problem yet. I would suspicion the Add-in card as having the issue or perhaps the cable which would be the cheapest fix of the two.

Reaction score
It is possible that it was/is only a piece of lint/cat hair/dog fuzz, recommend take the covers off and give a good air pressure clean of lint and crud.

Ask a Question