How to transfer files back and forth between work computer and home computer

Reaction score
I would like to transfer only certain files back and forth between my work computer and my home computer where it just updates each computer. I tried an external hard drive but it would create new folders and files, or wanted to backup the whole computer. I hope y'all can understand what I would like to do.
Thanks!

Reaction score
You could use the cloud for this. Set up a cloud account (your choice), then set it to update only the files you want to share between your two computers.

Reaction score
Like somebody else said use a cloud service. Most workplaces use some variations of Windows with One Drive baked in so that would be the easiest. That'll only work though if your work environment allows you to open your personal One Drive or alternately open your work account One Drive from your home computer. Many workplaces have security restrictions in place preventing this.

A workaround if you have a work email and most everybody does is to write yourself an email from your home account and send all the documents you need to your work email address. Then you can just open and download the attachment from work. Keep the email string active by replying to your own email every time you need to transfer files back and forth. This method can usually bypass company security protocols that won't allow you open any personal cloud accounts from a work computer.

Or you can keep a thumb drive dedicated to work files, though that requires remembering to take it back and forth from home to work and again depending on your workplace the security restrictions they have in place may prevent you from downloading anything from a secondary drive.

Reaction score
I am using this software and I think this would do what you want to accomplish as it is loaded with useful features. It's not free, however.
1622818108100.png

Reaction score
Dropbox, then just attach files from Dropbox when composing yahoo emails. I have yahoo email account.

Reaction score
You have several ways to do it... it depends
1. create a batch file to sync folders ex.: xcopy <from disk/folder> <to external drive/folder> /S/D
2. Use a sync sofyware like this (free, open source): http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/
3. Use a cloud service

Reaction score
FreeFileSync
Please.
I use SyncToy 2.1 (Build 19/10/2009 from Microsoft). However it has restriction of very long file pathnames (folder / subfolder / subfolder.......).
Does this FreeFileSync have this restriction?

Reaction score
Please.
I use SyncToy 2.1 (Build 19/10/2009 from Microsoft). However it has restriction of very long file pathnames (folder / subfolder / subfolder.......).
Might try file compression and use a short name for the resultant file. File Explorer should work but there is WinZip and 7-Zip and others, check www.majorgeeks.com. I have 7-Zip as it works with more formats of compression.

Reaction score
Please.

When I try to download Synctoy, I get this:
"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available."

Reaction score
When I try to download Synctoy, I get this:
"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available."
I remember having this download issue a few years ago. I have it to be installed, if you want to make it available via ONEDRIVE to your email.

Reaction score
I would like to transfer only certain files back and forth between my work computer and my home computer where it just updates each computer. I tried an external hard drive but it would create new folders and files, or wanted to backup the whole computer. I hope y'all can understand what I would like to do.
Thanks!

To use the external hard drive to store or move files, just format it (NTFS). All that pesky stuff should disappear. I do recommend using a cloud drive, as others have above. I prefer Pcloud because you can set it up however you want. IF you have MS Office 365, you already have OneDrive and you can use that.

Reaction score
I find cloud solutions to be the easiest and best. If you are just talking about Windows, you can use One Drive, or you can use Google Drive on any combination of platforms. Everything is kept in sync across all platforms signed in to the same account.

Reaction score
I have been using Dsynchronize for many years. It will keep files on multiple drives synchronised, and can do it on demand, at startup or in real time (by running it as a service). You could use a USB drive or OneDrive. Install it on both the work and home PCs and you're in business. Support from the developer, Dimitrios Coutsoumbas, is excellent, too. It's fee from

It you use OneDrive, you need to give it a drive letter, as explained here:

Of course, all this depends on the policies at your workplace

Ask a Question