SOLVED HP Envy won't automatically shutoff suddenly. Not sure what has changed to prevent this!

Reaction score
Recently, this HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 64 bit 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2364) will not shutdown automatically. It had worked for several years without any issues.
I ran powercfg -request and at times there was a Performance Legacy kernel caller appearing but from suggestions by searching online, this is not appearing any longer.
I was also experiencing seeing Windows indexing in powercfg -requests but learned how to disable that too.

I am not sure if has to do with how my advanced power schemes are now set:

HP Recommended Powerr scheme:
On battery 5 minutes turn off display, 10 minutes put the computer to sleep
Plugged In 10 minutes turn off display, 20 minutes put the computer to sleep

Advanced Power settings:

Hard disk Turn off hard disk after 0 minutes on battery, plugged in Never

Sleep after 10 minutes on battery, 20 minutes plugged in

Allow hybrid sleep On battery Off, Plugged in Off

Hibernate after On battery Never, Plugged in Never

Allow wake timers: On battery disable, Plugged in disable

I've also changed this in the registry:
Opened the "Task Scheduler" and went into Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot. Rightclick -> Properties -> Conditions -> Uncheck "Wake the computer to run this task". Second, change registry entry hkey_local_machine\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\PowerdownAfterShutdown to 1.

Ran powercfg -waketimers and this appears:
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device \Harddiskvolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsbroker) expires at 6:07:47pm on 12/26/2022. Reason Windows will execute "NT" TASK\Microsoft\Windows\rempl\shell-usoscan' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

I've done some other tweaks to running CCleaner during the past week. Not sure if this changed anything in attempting to clean up this HP Envy laptop.

Hoping that someone out there can help this computer be able to shutdown when not being used after 20 minutes or so.

Thank you!!!

And to all a belated Merry XMAS and a Happy New Year!!

Reaction score

I found a few more tweaks which I have tried:​

It changed the time to 10 minutes on battery and 20 minutes on plugged in for "Turn Hard Disk off after" in Advanced Power Settings.​

Run Power troubleshooter​

First run the build windows power troubleshooter, to check and fix if any power-related bug prevents windows from shutdown. This is optional but sometimes it’s very helpful.

• Simply type Troubleshoot in the start menu search and hit the enter key.
  • Scroll down and look for Power, Click on it and run the Troubleshooter.
  • This will check and fix if any Power related problems causing the issue.
power troubleshooter

Let’s tweak the windows registry to fix this problem.​

Note: We recommend Backup registry database before making any changes.

Tweak 01:

• Press Windows + R, type Regedit and ok to open the windows registry editor.
  • Here navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
  • In the right pane, double-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout.
  • Set the Value data to 500 or less. Click OK to save changes. Restart windows and check.
registry Tweak to fix this app is preventing shutdown

Tweak 2

• Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.
  • In the right pane, right-click the empty space and choose New >DWORD Value.
  • Rename the newly created DWORD (REG_DWORD) as AutoEndTasks.
  • Double-click on it and change its value to 1 As shown image below.
registry Tweak to fix this app is preventing shutdown

That’s all, Close the registry editor and restart windows, Check there is no more App preventing the shutdown of windows 10. Still, have any queries, suggestion feel free to discuss them in the comments below.

Ask a Question