HP S2031 Monitor Resolution

Reaction score
I'm guessing this may be the correct thread for my resolution problem. Anyway, here we go.

I have an HP S2031, widescreen monitor that requires a 1600 x 900 resolution. This monitor has been working with that resolution for years with all versions of Windows 8 and the same hardware. As a Windows 10 Insider, the early builds of Windows 10 I received had the correct monitor resolution. Then, wrong resolutions were used for several builds, then the correct resolution was used for several builds, and now the wrong resolution has been used for several builds.

I've tried every which way to get Microsoft to correct the resolution error to no avail. So, I'm posting my problem with the hope someone can tell me how to get Microsoft to use the correct resolution for my monitor. Because of the resolution problem, I've dropped out of the Insiders thing and haven't upgraded my daily-use Windows 8.1.1 installations.

Reaction score
The resolution of 1600 x 900 is the recommended resolution, you can probably go a tad higher. My Native res is 1920 x 1080 but I can drop it down to 1024 x 728. There should be a custom setting for that.

Reaction score
The resolution of 1600 x 900 is the recommended resolution, you can probably go a tad higher. My Native res is 1920 x 1080 but I can drop it down to 1024 x 728. There should be a custom setting for that.

None of the three resolution settings provided by the Insider builds of Windows 10 works. I'm going to install the November 10 version of Windows 10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. If that installation goes well, I'll be tempted to install that version on a new clone of my desktop, Windows 8.1.1 installation. Perhaps there's been a flaw in the Windows 8.1.1 installation I've been installing Insider builds on. However if the resolution is still wrong, I guess I'm screwed. Maybe buying a Windows 10 Pro CD is the answer -- or not.

OZP

Reaction score
Did you ever fix your screen resolution? I am experiencing the same thing now in 2017! Do I have to uninstall some of the upgrades? This is really annoying.

Reaction score
Maybe buying a Windows 10 Pro CD is the answer -- or not.
A thought: if the computer is more than a few years old [3 or more] it may be more cost-effective to get a new machine with a warranty and includes Win10, a mouse and a keyboard. A copy of Win10 seems to be going for about $115 for Home/core, anywhere from a fourth to a third the cost of a new machine. As the ads mention, monitor extra.

Reaction score
Did you ever fix your screen resolution? I am experiencing the same thing now in 2017! Do I have to uninstall some of the upgrades? This is really annoying.

I never found a solution. However, I stopped participating in the Insider program when Windows 10 was released. The released version of Win10 did not have the screen-resolution problem, and I've not experienced that problem again. In fact, the Fall Creators updates of Windows 10 Home and Pro arrived faster than all previous major updates and installed without problems. I thought I might have to update my ancient desktop computer to support the Fall Creators update, but the update is running very well. Even my somewhat ancient tablet was updated without problems and is running well.

Ask a Question