Hung on Identifying, "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Reaction score
Hey guys, internet was working a few days ago. Currently stuck on the issue in the title.

I've reinstalled the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller drivers.

When I try to run ipconfig /release it tells me an error occurred, Ethernet : the system cannot find the file specified

ipconfig information is as follows

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2605:a601:a70:5000:55b2:c025:6d56:a5f8
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2605:a601:a70:5000:293b:6735:ac46:20ad
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::55b2:c025:6d56:a5f8%2
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.165.248
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::f6f5:e8ff:fe64:a3f2%2

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet : The system cannot find the file specified.

I've already run the netsh resets and restarted my computer. No dice.

Reaction score
Well apparently it noticed I posted to this forum and got its crap together. After sitting here for about 30 minutes not doing anything it worked almost immediately after I posted from my laptop.

Feel free to ignore (or delete) this thread. Some switch finally flipped and started working. Hopefully it sticks around.

Reaction score
Interesting. Your router is giving you an IPV6 address but not an IPV4 address. It would have been interesting to so an ipconfig /all output to see if you were getting an IPV6 capable DNS

Reaction score
Well I'll respond back if this starts happening again. It wasn't showing nearly as much info as it is now. I talked to my ISP and they said everything looked good on their end. For some reason I was getting a valid IPV6 from them and no IPV4. I don't remember even seeing a DNS entry when I did /all last time.

Reaction score
Looks as if you are on Time Warner cable ?

Can you log onto your router and see what it is getting from the WAN?

Reaction score
Doesn't change anything. I Googled the 2605:a601 ( not a formal lookup) and it suggested Time Warner owned that prefix /32.

Reaction score
Anytime you get the 169.xxx type address it means the Network Adapter has not picked up a good address from the DHCP server. I will normally disable and re-enable the Network adapter maybe a couple of tries and if they fail I will enter a manual known good address to "prime the pump". Once it starts working you can probably go back to the auto configuration.

Knowing for sure you are on the correct Workgroup and not designated as a Public network helps.

I thought this last update was supposed to help with this sort of thing, but it may have made it worse..

Reaction score
the latest cumulative update has messed up the internet connections. Just happened on my test system. Got a work around though: Enter a static IP for your computer and shut it down, then start it back up. Worked for me and I got my Internet back by bypassing DHCP (where the problem lies). Its not a router problem OR a network card problem. The problem is KB3201845

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I have caught WU downgrading my NIC drivers more than once to a broken version, I upgraded them, WU downgraded them, and round this went. had to block all driver updates from WU.

Funy thing is that when I installed Windows, the NIC drivers were not available via WU and in fact I had to manually install them, because Windows did not support that NIC by default.

Imagine I was fuming purple and green for a few hours.

Ask a Question