SOLVED I'm on 1809. How to prevent/delay update to 1903?

Reaction score
I’m on Windows 1809 Home edition. How do I prevent/delay Windows from downloading and installing the upcoming Oct 2019, 2nd Tuesday updates? I heard the 1903 updates are pretty buggy. I went into all the Update Settings screens and all the Updates Advanced Options screens and didn’t see how to delay download/install of updates. Can this be done on 1809? Is this not available in 1809? Let me know. Is there a video on how to do this? Registry setting? Thx!
I did a google and youtube search on this issue and no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been using 1903 since the first day it was available. I don't find it buggy at all and I have the new release (19h2) on another pC and that seems to work fine.

Caveat: Both my machines are a few years old. I don't have any weird hardware or software, I am not a gamer.

Reaction score
Ditto, as Tim says. Best to wait and see. You can always rollback or, beter, have an image ready

Reaction score
The 1903 update is a features update which delaying is available in the settings-updates Advanced Options section...

Otherwise, you are 1 year behind the normal builds. A six month period should give you protection from unexpected problems with new builds but often those types of things pop up because of specific devices or software or even settings which had been set with an earlier install, and maybe not even a previous Win 10 install.

Just for the heck of it, if you do not use IIS, you might open the Windows Features dialog and see of any of the IIS (Internet Information Services) boxes are checked. There are many boxes, so check all and especially the World Wide Web Services-Security-Request Filtering component. To open that window, type optionalfeatures.exe in a run box. If you find some, let us know.

Ask a Question