I'm totally stumped

Reaction score
I've been having blue screen errors, freezes, and occasional "no bootable device found" instances constantly lately.

Here's what I'e done to try to fix it:

sfc /scannow
DISM
chkdsk
Malwarebytes
ADWcleaner
SuperAntiSpyware
Disabling fast startup
Acer Care Center tuneup
CrystalDiskInfo (disk is fine)
Windows Memory Diagnostic (memory is fine)
Intel Driver and Support Assistant
Manually checking for updates for every driver in device manager
Rolling back to earlier graphics card
Uninstalling recently installed programs
Uninstalling recently installed updates, then later reinstalling them

Here are the types of issues I encounter:

1. BSoD: I typically get Critical Process died and Unexpected Store Exception errors. These are regular blue screen errors, and on occasion they collect error data to completion. Using WhoCrashed?, I cannot identify the driver causing the issue. The program keeps reccomending I update ntdll.sys, but that doesn't appear to be a real driver.

2. Freezes: Whatever I'm doing freezes. I can still move my mouse, and click on the windows button, however when I try to click on the power button to restart, I can't. At some point, everything on my desktop except the recycle bin vanishes, including background pic and icons.

3. Failed boots: On occasion, the computer fails to boot altogether. Sometimes it will say "no bootable device found", other times it brings me to "windows boot manager". Usually it just needs a couple restarts and it's back to normal.

4. Corrupted Recycle Bin: This is an interesting one. For whatever reason I downloaded the File&Folder Troubleshooter from microsoft. The first time I ran it, it fixed a few issues, and also told me the recycle bin was corrupted, and fixed it. Now interestingly enough, I ran it again a day or two after, and the recycle bin had been corrupted again. I now run it several times a day, and at least once a day, it tells me the recycle bin is corrupted, and fixes it. I don't know what this means or why it is usually corrupted, but thought it would be good to note.

This just sort of came out of nowhere. I don't know what could've caused it, although I had a failed update (I was not on the internet and windows tried to update) around the time it started.

The errors almost never occur on wifi. I gave it to my school's IT to try and fix, and they never once got it to crash, and it was connected the whole time. At home, I do not have wifi. This is where crashes occur 99% of the time.

Shutting down the computer instead of sleep mode it seems to reduce the number of crashes.

The crashes occur at any time. Using any program. Sometimes even when I start the computer up.

Restarting it seems to get rid of whatever issue it has, even when it fails to boot.

I have plenty of storage space left. My CPU and Disk usage never go above 10%, my memory usage never above 40%.

Here is the data from WhoCrashed? Thanks in advance for help. I'm really desperate.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 6/21/2019 4:28:43 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062119-7046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1AAAB0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFA680EC161580, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 6/21/2019 4:28:43 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!RtlLookupFunctionEntry+0x118)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFA680EC161580, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

On Fri 6/21/2019 1:57:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062119-9140-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1AAAB0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF9F053BBC1080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Reaction score
I would cut the problem hunting short and make a fresh install. (Or, if you have one, reestablish a working image.

Ask a Question