SOLVED Don't understand why I'm able to enabled Dark Mode in most apps, yet not in File Explorer?

Reaction score
Greetings to all! I would like to know if anyone is (or had) experienced what I’m going to describe. According to several websites, within the latest update in Windows (Oct 2019) says that users can now enable Dark Mode in File Explorer. Each website basically provided the same instructions as followed, Settings > Personalization > Colors > Choose your default mode & if you choose, “Dark” it will put most of your apps in dark mode. Actually, I was able to change many of my Windows apps to dark mode, except for File Explorer. I did notice how my Settings window changed to dark mode. Being physically disabled, I first went on to Microsoft Answer Desk where I can chat with a live agent & if necessary with my permission an agent can remotely access my PC to address any issues I may be experiencing. The website & all of the agents are remarkably helpful! One agent, I had chatted with explained, despite being able to go into Settings > Personalization > Colors > Choose your default mode & if you choose, “Dark” it will put most of your apps in dark mode, except File Explorer. This agent did say Microsoft Developers are working on this issue & users ought to be able to choose to put File Explorer into the next Windows update. Yet, it really bugs me seeing these websites saying that File Explorer can be enabled into Dark Mode & there’s even a screenshot shown of File Explorer in Dark Mode, which looks very appealing to me. My PC was thoroughly scanned by the agent & my PC performance is at it’s peek. My Windows version is, 1803 & is the Home Edition. Still, I don’t understanding & is very bothersome why my apps are in Dark Mode, yet I can’t get my File Explorer in Dark Mode.

For those who prefer working in Dark Mode, any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Just to follow up. Usually, I’ll always receive updates automatically, except when I checked my updates (which I should have checked from the beginning) I didn’t have & strangely downloaded/installed the 2019-02 Cumulative updates. That’s why I didn’t have the version, 18009 & that’s probably why I couldn’t get my File Explorer to go into Dark Mode. Normally, the Cumulative Updates quite a while to download & install; sometimes it seems like an all-day event. Since I already had my apps mode set to, “dark” after restarting my Pc I immediately checked/opened my File Explorer which finally was in Dark Mode!

I’m still left with 2-things puzzling me. Why/how did my PC missed getting the 2019-02 Cumulative Update? I’m always automatically getting updates for Windows; including Cumulative Update? 2) It seems as though a 36-members viewed my post, yet not 1-member replied back. I believe my post made sense & was a genuine question…?

Reaction score
Why/how did my PC missed getting the 2019-02 Cumulative Update?
I've done 4 computers updated to kb4482887 just today and none were automatic, just clicked the Check for updates and things worked. It hasn't been available very long.

Ask a Question