In Windows 10 Google Chrome Not Working

Reaction score
I have used Windows 10 on an old laptop so am used to it. Have just purchased a new All-In-One PC with W.10 installed as OPS. I have always used Google Chrome as my browser with a gmail account & an Outlook email. On previous upgraded OPS on the laptop these were no problem with these nor browsing of any websites. However on new PC I installed Chrome then experienced many websites freezing and saying 'Not Responding'. It would happen after 10mins of as much as 1 hour use with many or only 2 websites open. I kept closing it down but after about a week I thought enough was enough, so after lots of research I removed Chrome, reinstalling it several times. I tried installing the 32-bit version as well as the 64-bit version, the latter of which would not only say 'not responding' but the whole PC would freeze.

I gave up and decided to use EDGE - I don't like it as it is not as user friendly, sometimes websites will not allow me to print, some I use regularly will not open but final straw is last few days on both my email addresses when typing an email all text is Red underlined as though spelling wrong! I have checked settings to make sure it is English UK, where I am based, still no luck.

I do hope someone can help me with the mainly Chrome issue and secondly the re underlining of email text.
Thanks in anticipation
Baffled 24

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Baffled,

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of quick questions:
  • This new computer and its W-10 install. Click Start > Settings > System > About

What version is being used?

System About.png

Just below that information it mentions your System type also. I assume that it says 64-bit architecture there but can you confirm that too please.

• Do you have any antivirus or other security programs running?
    • Which ones are you using?
    • Do any of them have extensions added to your browsers be that IE-11, Chrome or some other browser you may have tried.

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the contact.
Edition-Windows 10 Home
Version - 1511
OS Build - 10586.318
Antivirus - Avast Free
No extensions added as far as I can tell.

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the contact.
Edition-Windows 10 Home
Version - 1511
OS Build - 10586.318
Antivirus - Avast Free
No extensions added as far as I can tell.
Sorry forgot to say it says - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. Not exactly as you thought?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

It seems you and I are running near identical set ups then with the exception of the brand of computer.

I had found the 32-bit version of Chrome to occasionally be jittery but found the 64-bit version to be not significantly better either, but I prefer to use the 64-bit version all the same.

I use Norton 360 as my antivirus and that likes to build in filters to any browser I use. That did slow things a little in Chromes case so I disabled the Norton toolbar from by browser. Perhaps Avast does something similar?!

Ideally its great to run high security these days on browsers, but even with the toolbar disabled Norton still automatically scans anything I download and there is no reason to think Avast would not do the same if it has added an extension to your browser.

The only other thing I did manually per se to Chrome 64-bit was to:
  • Click the icon at top right corner with the 3 horizontal lines | then click Settings | then in left pane click extensions.
  • There I disabled all the default extensions it came with during installation, plus the Norton added extensions.
  • I then went online and added one extension I personally like called Empty New Page v. 1.1.1

I've never used the option in settings to enable automatic sign in to other Google bits either. I prefer to manually do this when needed.

Moving on to advanced settings for Chrome 64-bit

Here the only box I checked was the one for 'Protect you and your device from dangerous sites' which would be irrelevant but for the fact I chose to disable Norton extensions.

I'm just using default Internet settings so no proxies per se. Do you have something set there? You may need to review that as obviously a unstable proxy setting will affect browser performance no matter what edition of browser you are using.

It's rare but occasionally an https/SSL certificate can get corrupted so under the advanced settings option you can click the manage button and delete any you think may be trouble.

Other than that when my browser gets a little slow to open a page I generally close the browser then open a Command prompt and execute the following command:
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • Just type that command and hit enter, close the Command prompt window and restart browser

Reaction score
Hi there apologies for delay in replying but I have been ill away from PC. I had already done most of what you suggested but none of it worked, so I tried the last but that was no better either.

Also all of my text is underlining itself in red, here in this forum as well as my emails accounts. I do know that all words are spelt correctly. so another problem with windows 10!

Regards Baffled24

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not necessarily.

This forum uses American English. I often see my words underlined in red too as I'm a Kiwi so my English spelling and grammar is different to theirs.

Ask a Question