Inaccessible Boot Device and No Safe Mode

Reaction score
Hello guys. Hope you can help. So I'm going to start off with basic info about my system.

Alienware 15
8gb Ram
1 Tb Hdd

I upgraded to Windows 10 sometime around late September. Its given me a couple issues before but a restart and break usually fixed it up. Now, a couple days ago I started getting just about every error possible. Ten or twenty restarts usually did the trick. Now for the past two days every time it boots I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and then itll restart into the repair options.

Some things to note...
I cannot get into safe mode as it'll give me the same error.
I'm pretty sure my HDD is fine as I can still access all my files using a live Kali Linux usb.
If I attempt to run the sfc /scannow from cmd in repair mode, it'll say there's a system repair pending.
So pretty sure it's something wrong with Windows itself.

Please help!!!! I need this laptop for school and a clean install would delete all of my files.

Thank you.

Reaction score
On my personal computer I did a clean install and all it accomplished was a cleaner registry and less orphan files etc. Was it worth it? Maybe but Windows 10 pro is not ready for serious productive computing. It’s like living the poisoned Paul Allen days again. I even bought Microsoft Assure software support to help get me passed such dilemmas but that is turning out to be another waste of money. Our IT department did the network conversion from windows 7 pro uses the partner like package multi seats and after eleven months Corporate and IT have come to the conclusion Windows 10 has caused constant productivity loss as there are so many driver and third party software incompatibilities. It’s a finger pointing cluster. Office 2016 is a whole another story and it is also about to be uninstalled for Office 2010. This is a growing conclusion among many small companies who can’t play games and trying to work with Microsoft support. The time and money doesn’t allow for constant mishaps and repetitive new learning curves with changed up commands and such. Our IT department basically has had enough and is planning to maybe revisit Win10 in two years.

Reaction score
The first thing I would do is to download the test from your hard drive manufacturer's website and test the HDD. I know you said you can access the files on the drive with a live Linux USB. But that is also possible with a failing HDD. If the drive tests ok then you probably have a corrupt boot record or a corrupt windows installation. I would start with checking the HDD to make sure it is still good.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now, a couple days ago I started getting just about every error possible. Ten or twenty restarts usually did the trick. Now for the past two days every time it boots I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and then itll restart into the repair options.
Based on that information I would have to agree with ram1220 and suggest that you use your Linux Live Distro to backup all your critical data soon.
I'm pretty sure my HDD is fine as I can still access all my files using a live Kali Linux usb.
That does not necessarily mean that the area of your hard disk and or partition(s) that contain the Operating System Files as well as the Boot Configuration Data is healthy and or free of corruption.
IF you have the means and skills, I'd put a new hard drive in it and perform a clean custom install of Windows 10 on it and then copy your backed up data into their respective containers.
You could of course do that with the existing drive but I'm not sure I would trust it, given your description of the current problems without first testing it as ram1220 suggested or at a minimum running the native Check Disk utility on it

Ask a Question