SOLVED PLEASE HELP ME - "inaccessible_boot_device" - PC Won't Boot at All - Black Screen

Reaction score
CPU/GPU: AMD A10-7850K
MOBO: MSI A78M-E35
SSD: SanDisk Plus 120GB
RAM: EVGA 8GB 2133MHz
PSU: EVGA 80+ 430W
Monitor: Acer G237HL bi

I installed Windows 7 Home Basic and did all Windows updates; this went fine. Reserved Windows 10 and downloaded/installed it when it was ready; this went fine. Once in Windows 10, tried to "reset this pc" by choosing "remove everything" and "just remove my files"; this went fine until doing a restart after reaching 100%.

This issue being the "inaccessible_boot_device" error that many others have gotten which causes the PC to enter a restart loop.

Well, during this loop I made the (apparent) mistake of turning off my PC. Now, I can't even boot my PC at all. I get a black screen. I can't use the Windows 7 disc, can't use my MOBO disc, can't even boot into bios... nothing. All I see when I turn on my PC is literally a black screen with nothing on it.

What can be done to fix this? I've read that putting Windows 10 on a USB by using the Microsoft media creation tool and booting from that to clean install works, but if I can't even boot from the Windows 7 disc, how can I boot from a USB? And I can't even enter BIOS to force a USB boot.

PLEASE HELP ME.

UPDATE:
Okay, my PC will now boot into the "inaccessible_boot_device" error blue screen and does the restart loop. Not sure what I should do now. I'm afraid to power off my PC again.

UPDATE #2: Not sure why, but I was finally able to boot into BIOS. My only guess would be that, maybe when I tried(but failed) to remove my MOBO battery, just from me wiggling it caused it to reset? Idk.

Anyway, once in BIOS, I changed boot priority to DVD and was able to access reinstalling Windows 7.

I am right now reinstalling Windows 7, on Disk 0 Partition 2(if that matters. wouldn't even allow me to install on partition 1 or 3).

So, from the looks of things, everything is back to normal? I should be able to finish reinstalling Windows 7, do the updates and redownload/reinstall Windows 10 without issue? Though, this time I will NOT attempt to "reset this pc".

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sometimes (rare but often enough), that inaccessible_boot_device error is a product of a misconfigured setting with respect to your drive controller on the motherboard.
The OS is expecting (based on a driver) to use one type of controller and the BIOS is set to use a different type of controller.
On occasion, entering the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and adjust that setting from whatever it has defaulted to (often RAID) to another setting, depending on your options something like
SATA AHCI, or SATA IDE, or Native IDE will get you past that error.
You just need to experiment and try the various options to see which one it will work with.

Reaction score
Sometimes (rare but often enough), that inaccessible_boot_device error is a product of a misconfigured setting with respect to your drive controller on the motherboard.
The OS is expecting (based on a driver) to use one type of controller and the BIOS is set to use a different type of controller.
On occasion, entering the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and adjust that setting from whatever it has defaulted to (often RAID) to another setting, depending on your options something like
SATA AHCI, or SATA IDE, or Native IDE will get you past that error.
You just need to experiment and try the various options to see which one it will work with.

Thanks for replying.

For now, I'm finishing up Windows 7 updates then I'm gonna try getting back into Windows 10. From there, I think I may just skip the "reset this pc" option all together and instead clean install Windows 10 from USB. Do you think this would work okay, or could I still have this error, due to something wrong with the MOBO like you said?

All I can say for my mind is, the parts for this PC were just bought less than a week ago and it was put together(by someone else, not me). Only thing I've done on it is install Windows 7, update Windows 7, download/install Windows 10, then attempted to "reset this pc" and that's when all this happened. Everything seemed to be working properly until that point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
due to something wrong with the MOBO like you said?
I wasn't actually saying that there was anything wrong with the MotherBoard, I was simply suggesting that in some instances the Reset PC apparently results in a state where the process cannot continue due to a missing or otherwise corrupt SATA / AHCI / RAID drive controller driver. Sort of like the OS you are on wants one configuration and the OS you are reverting back to wants another configuration and the process seems stuck in the middle and you end up with a boot loop.
AND sometimes (emphasis added)
Manually sorting it out by trying the various options available in the BIOS for your drive controller mode, helps. Sometimes not.

Reaction score
I was finally able to resolved my issue. Seems I can't edit my OP, so I'll posted this here:

UPDATE #3: I'm back into Windows 10. Wooo! So, I'm still not sure why I was finally able to boot into BIOS, but once I was able to, I changed DVD boot drive to top priority and was able to reinstall Windows 7 from the disc. I then did all Windows Updates. I then downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and mounted/installed it with Virtual Clone Drive. I am now back inside Windows 10, hoping nothing else goes wrong.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cool..... thanks for the update.
So... did you do a custom clean install of Windows 7 or did you parallel it onto another partition or disk.
How much room is left on the drive, does it still contain the old install?

Reaction score
Cool..... thanks for the update.
So... did you do a custom clean install of Windows 7 or did you parallel it onto another partition or disk.
How much room is left on the drive, does it still contain the old install?

Not sure what I did. There were 3 partitions this time installing W7, and I chose partition 2(the only one it allowed me to install to), so I guess I did parallel?

I have 80GB left of the 120GB now on W10. I also have an E drive. Not sure if it contains the old or not, not used to W10.

Still trying to figure out how to handle these partitions. I didn't get the option to delete/format when installing W10, and some other people were saying I could delete/format. Not sure what I should do now that I'm on W10. Would you recommend I delete/format any partitions at this point?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you recommend I delete/format any partitions at this point?
Nope..... not until you have a complete understanding of what the contents of the various partition are.
And certainly not before you perform a full disk image or your hard disk so you at least have a reasonably strong fall back position.
You should probably use Disk Manager to get a firm idea of what's what.
Then use File explorer to examine the data structure of each partition.
If you have multiple partitions with identical data structure (Program Files, Program File (x86), Windows, Users, etc., etc.,) then you can be pretty sure that you have a parallel install.

Reaction score
Nope..... not until you have a complete understanding of what the contents of the various partition are.
And certainly not before you perform a full disk image or your hard disk so you at least have a reasonably strong fall back position.
You should probably use Disk Manager to get a firm idea of what's what.
Then use File explorer to examine the data structure of each partition.
If you have multiple partitions with identical data structure (Program Files, Program File (x86), Windows, Users, etc., etc.,) then you can be pretty sure that you have a parallel install.

Not really sure what this means, but here they are: http://i.imgur.com/BKq0jv3.png

The first two seem to be exactly the same.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks good, I wouldn't worry about them. It looks like the second install generated a second recovery partition but, At 450 megs, even if you managed to delete one, it wouldn't amount to much overall.
If everything is working good, just leave them alone.
The rest looks fine to me.

Reaction score
Looks good, I wouldn't worry about them. It looks like the second install generated a second recovery partition but, At 450 megs, even if you managed to delete one, it wouldn't amount to much overall.
If everything is working good, just leave them alone.
The rest looks fine to me.

Would it cause any issues if I did delete them? Someone else told me that as long as I don't delete the main C drive and any "system reserved" ones, it's fine to delete others. Is that true?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would it cause any issues if I did delete them?
I believe that it would ..... YES.
I'm pretty sure that at least one of the Healthy (Recovery Partition) is essential to Windows 10 the other could be from Windows 8 or a left over remnant from your "reset" attempt.
Determining which is which would be the dilemma.
As I said earlier, I wouldn't mess with them unless you are very desperate for space as neither really represents a particularly big savings.
AND
As I also said earlier, I wouldn't attempt anything in that regard without first having a very good disk image from which I could recover.

Reaction score
I believe that it would ..... YES.
I'm pretty sure that at least one of the Healthy (Recovery Partition) is essential to Windows 10 the other could be from Windows 8 or a left over remnant from your "reset" attempt.
Determining which is which would be the dilemma.
As I said earlier, I wouldn't mess with them unless you are very desperate for space as neither really represents a particularly big savings.
AND
As I also said earlier, I wouldn't attempt anything in that regard without first having a very good disk image from which I could recover.

Alright. Unless having them causes any noticeable issue(s), I'll just not delete them.

Ask a Question