Inaccessible boot device loop

Reaction score
Hi
I did a reset on my windows 10 laptop and since then when I turn on the computer, a blue screen appears which says inaccessible boot device and the computer restarts itself and the blue screen agin.....
I tried to creat media creation on a memory stick and boot the computer from stick, but the memory stick is not recognised, the only option in the boot menu is windows boot manager.

Microsoft help line was useless claiming it doesn't have anything to do with them.
Can anyone help me please!
Many thanks.

Reaction score
I tried to creat media creation on a memory stick and boot the computer from stick

Have you gone to the bios and set the boot order to USB ?

I always use a DVD and I would go to my Bios ( F2 in my computer ) and change the boot order to CD/DVD > then I would insert the DVD > Restart.

Reaction score
Have you gone to the bios and set the boot order to USB ?

I always use a DVD and I would go to my Bios ( F2 in my computer ) and change the boot order to CD/DVD > then I would insert the DVD > Restart.

I have changed the boot order in BIOS. Same thing happens. Also as I said, when I press F12 to change the boot option the only available option is Windows boot manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the only option in the boot menu is windows boot manager.
That generally indicates a UEFI configuration in the BIOS.
Either your media will have had to be created with that in mind or you will need to enter the BIOS and change that to "legacy" from UEFI.
Every BIOS is slightly different in some cases like mine, I have multiple choices "UEFI only" "UEFI and Legacy" or "Legacy only"........
While in others you may not see anything like that, you may simply see a reference to "Secure Boot" and that's the setting that you have to disable to boot to Legacy devices

Reaction score
That generally indicates a UEFI configuration in the BIOS.
Either your media will have had to be created with that in mind or you will need to enter the BIOS and change that to "legacy" from UEFI.
Every BIOS is slightly different in some cases like mine, I have multiple choices "UEFI only" "UEFI and Legacy" or "Legacy only"........
While in others you may not see anything like that, you may simply see a reference to "Secure Boot" and that's the setting that you have to disable to boot to Legacy devices

That helped! To some extend though!
I managed to change the setting the legacy and boot from USB memory. However I ran into a new problem. When I want to choose where to install the windows a receive a message sayin"windows cannot be installed on drive..." And in the details it says " the selected disk is of GPT partition style". I tried to format the drive, still get the same message. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to set things back to the way they were in your BIOS.... (whatever you changed).
Then you need to use Rufus to build a new USB install source
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Make sure you have it set as in this image when you create the installer.

Rufus.JPG

Ask a Question