INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

Reaction score
I had this happen to me tonight. Did the in place upgrade of win 10 pro x64 from win 7 pro x64 using the media creation tool and letting download and upgrade.
After it upgraded , rebooted with the inaccessible boot device message then upon rebooting again I got the encountered a problem screen and said it was restoring my old OS.

It then restored the computer back to Win7and had the following message in a box before it loaded the win 7 desktop:

0xC1900101-0x40017 installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during the boot operation.

Win7 restored just fine. This is a brand new 128gb ssd that I reinstalled win 7 pro x64 to. Biostar TA790GX-128M motherboard, Athlon II X2-245 cpu, 4Gb ram. Win 7 has been running fine on it.

Sam

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Sam and welcome to the forum.
There is some information on the MS Community forums regarding this error.
Some linking it to a connected USB device.
Others an old nVidia GPU driver that is not compatible
While still others suggest a possible BIOS update to enhance support for USB.
IDK....
Here's a couple links.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-in-the/c20c1800-cf0a-4041-8bf4-aa86b276a08f
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-0x40017/f8d33474-2e93-4b90-9a9e-96e60e3b7e8f
The second link dates back to the preview builds so evidently the issue has been around for a while.

Reaction score
AMD HD6790 video card, only USB device is mouse (PS2 keyboard).

I'm mainly trying out how Win 10 installs. Have 2 systems that belonged to 2 of my grandsons (just built them both new i3 setups) and am seeing how Win 10 installs and runs on slightly older hardware as I am the "computer & tech guy" for about 50 family, friends and co-workers, most running 3-5 yr old systems with Win7. Cause they've already been asking about "that Get Windows 10 thing down in the taskbar". Plus the 5 PCs and 1 Windows tablet here in our own house all running 8.1 x64.

One of the grandkids former systems is an E5300 2.5Ghz dual core, 4Gb ram, 128Gb SSD, 300Gb HDD, Radeon HD7750 which I did the upgrade by creating a USB stick with the Media Creation Tool and running the upgrade that way. Other than taking over a day to activate, Win 10 runs great on it.
Wanted to try the download upgrade so I tried it out on the AMD X2-245 system. I am going to try the USB stick on it tonight and see what happens.

Sam

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
that Get Windows 10 thing down in the taskbar
That GWX.exe icon has a "Check Your PC" feature which can save headaches when it come to compatibility issues.
Just saying.....

Reaction score
Yeah I had run both the Win 8.1 and the Win 10 check my pc compatibility on this Athlon II X2-245 setup. Both found no issues with any hardware or software. Have already told everyone I know to hold off on the Win 10 upgrade for a while.

Sam

Reaction score
Ok I finally got Win 10 to upgrade. I disabled AHCI in Win 7 with the registry changes :

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide
When the system is in IDE interface mode, the respective start values are:
  • msahci's START value is "3"
  • pciide's START value is "0"
Then rebooted, went into BIOS, changed SATA from AHCI to IDE and rebooted, Win 7 loaded fine, than ran the upgrade from the USB stick created with the Media Creation tool. Now this method finally got me to a working Win 10 but with some odd things. For some reason every time win 10 would reboot as it installed it would hang showing the blue window but no spinning circle of dots. If I removed the USB stick and rebooted it would get to the next screen and I would reinsert the USB stick as it loaded/copied/whatever. Had to do this 3-4 times then finally Win 10 was installed.

Now with Win 7 & 8 there were known issues with AMD's AHCI driver and most people used the generic Microsoft driver instead. My thinking is that Win 10 is probably using an AMD driver (found there were AMD 7xx series chipset Win 10 drivers released on 7/29 on AMD's site) and that driver was causing issues.

I have installed the Win 10 upgrade on one other older system so far, a 2008 Pentium E5300 running an Intel DG31PR motherboard. That had the BIOS set for AHCI SATA and had no issues upgrading. But maybe for those having the Inaccessible Boot Device error, trying the upgrade in IDE mode rather than AHCI may work.

Not sure I want to try enabling AHCI now on this Athlon system as it's running Win 10 fine.

Sam

Reaction score
For me the trouble came about because the BIOS was putting the SATA controller into RAID mode. Trial and error and finding this thread as well as another at

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...o-ACHI-(easily!)-without-reinstalling-Windows

led me to set Start=0 for iaStorV, pciide and msahci. All were set originally to '3'. I then changed the BIOS from RAID mode to AHCI mode. That got me past the "inaccessible boot device" failure.

Reaction score
I had this happen to me tonight. Did the in place upgrade of win 10 pro x64 from win 7 pro x64 using the media creation tool and letting download and upgrade.
After it upgraded , rebooted with the inaccessible boot device message then upon rebooting again I got the encountered a problem screen and said it was restoring my old OS.

It then restored the computer back to Win7and had the following message in a box before it loaded the win 7 desktop:

0xC1900101-0x40017 installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during the boot operation.

Win7 restored just fine. This is a brand new 128gb ssd that I reinstalled win 7 pro x64 to. Biostar TA790GX-128M motherboard, Athlon II X2-245 cpu, 4Gb ram. Win 7 has been running fine on it.

Sam
Ok guys so the same thing happened to me and I have a solution for some (hopefully most) without having to use another computer OR download anything, also without any of the F* keys working.

I have a Lenovo laptop. I couldn't click F8 or F12 or any combination to get to the recovery screen. This is how I did it. Next to my power button there is a smaller button with an arrow on it. Make sure your computer is off and click it. While my computer was starting I kept clicking F8 (not sure if it was even necessary to click it but why not right?) and a few options popped up. One of them was system recovery. Click that option and the rest is pretty easy. I'd go in depth however I forgot exactly what I had to do but it was not difficult at all. There's only two buttons to press and that was exit or next so obviously click the next button. My computer recovered from a hidden partition and it reset my computer to factory settings as if I just pulled it out of the box.

I really hope this helps people!! It was sooooo frustrating but hopefully this quick guide will help people that are still stuck in this situation. Good luck!!

EDIT: Also note that I turned my secure boot off. Again not sure if that was necessary but I did it anyways.

cmh

Reaction score
Upgraded Windows 7 to 10 and got this issue.

Do the USB recovery or change-from/to AHCI methods result in data loss? I think System Recovery does so that's not an option. I need my data intact. Help please?

Here are some alternative things I've tried:

Options I encountered by pressing F11 on my HP desktop, and corresponding issues:
- System Restore - no restore points
- Startup Repair - could not repair. Chose to 'Send information about this problem' though not sure if that actually sent anything
- System Recovery - not doing this if it erases data
- HP File Backup Program - not sure it will work properly based on anecdotes online and the fact it asks which types of files I want to save out of a limited list of file categories

F2 at startup brings up configuration settings, where AHCI mode is already enabled. Anything else I can do with these settings to possibly help?

Automatic Repair occurs on some restarts - it goes to a 'Choose your keyboard layout' blue screen that I seemingly cannot do anything with as the mouse and keyboard are inoperable on it. Tried 2 other keyboards and another mouse, but didn't work. Is there anything I can do to move this option forward?

At startup, there's also ESC for a boot menu with a selection of three items, and F12 for Boot from LAN. F8 doesn't seem to do anything - no Safe Mode.

Last edited:

Ask a Question