Inaccessible boot device

Reaction score
so I went from windows 7 to windows 10 reason behind it was because being new.. I thought I would reset everything as it was going slow and now it is just showing the

inaccessible boot device

I am trying to change the settings on the esc start up but it's not showing things I can change?

Is there anyway at all I can fix this myself?!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Enter your system setup utility (BIOS), try adjusting your drive controller mode to SATA /AHCI or SATA / IDE or IDE Native.
That might help. IDK.

Boot from the installation media and use the Repair link to get into advance troubleshooting screens and see if you have the "Go Back To xxxxx" under Advanced OPtions.

Reaction score
Enter your system setup utility (BIOS), try adjusting your drive controller mode to SATA /AHCI or SATA / IDE or IDE Native.
That might help. IDK.

Boot from the installation media and use the Repair link to get into advance troubleshooting screens and see if you have the "Go Back To xxxxx" under Advanced OPtions.
How do I get them up? Is it on the esc start up as its not letting me change them

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How do I get them up?
I have no idea.
Every computer / motherboard is different.
Could be the Delete Key, could be F2, F10, F11, F12. Google for your particular and specific computer, or check any documentation you might have on hand.

Reaction score
I have no idea.
Every computer / motherboard is different.
Could be the Delete Key, could be F2, F10, F11, F12. Google for your particular and specific computer, or check any documentation you might have on hand.
When I'm clicking the esc its showing these what one do I click

System info
System diagnostics
Boot device options
Bios set up
System recovery
Network boot

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
System configuration I think, main is generally for date and time, but you might check there also.
What you are looking for is something to indicate the "MODE" your drive controller is currently operating in, which is likely SATA / RAID

Reaction score
Only thing that is mode related is one called action keys mode there is a "boot" options but I think that's something totally different right?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... boot options might contain a submenu or something, there is no way for me to tell, but generally that would include setting the order of your boot devices as well as perhaps configuring your boot mode (legacy or UEFI).
You will really have to just look around in every nook and cranny, all BIOS are different and some are very limited as to what you can change, especially on some laptops.

Reaction score
Ye I know what you mean, it's got a network boot protocol as IPv4>legacy then under its got legacy support enabled

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's not what we're looking for. What we are looking for is the actual mode that your drive controller is using. Something that references "RAID" or "ACHI" or "SATA" or IDE
My thoughts are that perhaps your reset has in someway changed or otherwise corrupted the driver needed to support the current setting which I was thinking was perhaps RAID and that changing that to one of the other possible selections might get you over the hump.
This may be a wild goose chase and my thinking could be well off the mark.

Reaction score
That's not what we're looking for. What we are looking for is the actual mode that your drive controller is using. Something that references "RAID" or "ACHI" or "SATA" or IDE
My thoughts are that perhaps your reset has in someway changed or otherwise corrupted the driver needed to support the current setting which I was thinking was perhaps RAID and that changing that to one of the other possible selections might get you over the hump

This is giving me a massive headache :( is there straight forward way of getting back to my factory settings? Looking at Google that will be hard work too I'm guessing ::(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
is there straight forward way of getting back to my factory settings?
IDK.... in your post above you showed that it might be possible.
When I'm clicking the esc its showing these what one do I click
System info
System diagnostics
Boot device options
Bios set up
System recovery
Network boot
If you computer has a factory recovery partition and it is still accessible through that interface.
That will probably leave you without anything in the way of critical data, programs and such and will return the computer to a factory fresh state.
Although not exactly easy, you may want to consider using a Linux Distro Live CD to boot the system and backup your critical files at least to an external resource.

Ask a Question