SOLVED Incomplete Windows 10 shut down

Reaction score
Occasionally when trying to shut down windows 10, the screen goes black and it appears that windows has shut down. However, there is still activity on my USB WI-FI and the actual computer hardware continues to run even after 10 minutes. I have to do a reset, bring up windows again and before logging on do a shut down which always works. As an alternative, I have taken to logging off and at the log on screen preforming a shut down from there. That always works

Reaction score
Michael, I'm glad you solved the problem. you might want to try working your way to Power Options and see what happens when you try to shut down.

Reaction score
If it happens again, have a look at the update - advance section and see what is the date/time of the last one. I don't know why the screen should go black, but the computer could be in the middle of downloading updates.

Reaction score
The power option for best performance seems to have solved the problem. Also note that the issue that I had with the USB WiFi suddenly stop working also seems to have been solved. I have only had to remove and insert the USB WiFi once since I have made the change in power options. The previous attempt to fix the problem by going to device manager and choosing the network adaptors then choosing to not allowing the device to be turned off when not used did not work well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The previous attempt to fix the problem by going to device manager and choosing the network adaptors then choosing to not allowing the device to be turned off when not used did not work well.
That would not work as the adapter is a USB dongle so you would have to set that particular setting twice in device manager.
Once on the adapter itself, which you apparently did
AND the second instance you would have to apply the same to the USB hub device that was supporting the wireless dongle, so that the supporting sub-system was also not allowed to "turn off to save power".

Reaction score
Actually I did that with not much success. It was only when I went to power options and chose maximum performance when everything seems to be working much better. I have not had the system hang when the USB WiFi stopped working. The USB removal and reinsertion works now but I have had the USB stop working once since May. 17.

Ask a Question