Insider Preview Build 14971 for PC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting that they're finally replacing the command prompt with powershell in many areas (i.e. Win Key + X). I have to admit, I default to the command prompt as it's so familiar, so this will force a change in me (probably for the best!).

Reaction score
A thought.
Perhaps, from now, instead of showing users, when helping, how to do things through the Command prompt, we should start redirecting through the Powershell.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A thought.
Perhaps, from now, instead of showing users, when helping, how to do things through the Command prompt, we should start redirecting through the Powershell.

Yep, that may be the way to go now that this change has been made. Thankfully the command prompt will still be around for a very long time, but it may be useful to go with the flow.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember early in either Windows 8 or 8.1 that was the default, for the xMenu right click context menu.
You could simply change it, using Taskbar Properties.
The toggle is still there, for those of us who still cling to our DOS prompt.

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been playing with the PowerShell Terminal (Console) and attempting to find anything that I typically do at a Command Prompt, that doesn't work within the PowerShell window.
Seems that most of the Old DOS stuff still works at the PS prompt, the same as if you were using a command prompt window.
Anyone found anything that doesn't or that perhaps the syntax is slightly different?

Not talking about the PowerShell ISE (Integrated Scripting Environment), just the plain console.
I think I see another "For Dummies" book in my future.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not found anything that I would normally use that doesn't work - they seem to have mapped many of the standard DOS stuff to cmdlets. Syntax often seems different though, for example "dir" uses the "get-childitem" cmdlet - and none of the old switches work :(.

FWIW, you can check mappings by typing "get-alias" before the old command. For example "get-alias cls" returns the Clear-Host cmdlet.

Reaction score
for example "dir" uses the "get-childitem" cmdlet - and none of the old switches work
I use "dir /s /b *.* > list.txt" all the time. Simply put if those switches don't work, it will be hard for me to migrate and start using Power Shell.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Haven't had a problem using the "dir" command
For Cliff's problem I think adding the "-recurse" switch rather than "*.*" will produce the same results more or less and for sending it to a text file the pipe symbol and the "Out-File" switch will work, albeit with a little additional nonsense.
"dir" is identified as an acceptable alias for the "Get-ChildItem" command at the bottom of this page
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176841.aspx

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Definitely a learning curve and no doubt, I'm going to need a dummies book but there doesn't seem to be a lot of books yet on Version 5.
IDK.... but I think I'm going to hang in there and investigate further. Who knows, I might even get to like it.

Reaction score
14971 does not handle audio. It keeps telling me that there is no device installed until I use the trouble shooter several times and restart at least twice. Also mouse does not always keep my scroll button working.

Ask a Question