Insider Preview Build 17623

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Redstone 5 Build to Windows Insiders who have opted into Skip Ahead
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...0-insider-preview-build-17623-for-skip-ahead/

Got this installed without any issues, and....
Couldn't help but notice that there is no Watermark and no expiration date.

Capture.PNG

I suspect that this is an oversight and will likely be corrected in future builds.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed this little nugget in 17623, which seems like an awful change:

For Windows Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring, we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge, which provides the best, most secure and consistent experience on Windows 10 and across your devices. With built-in features for reading, note-taking, Cortana integration, and easy access to services such as SharePoint and OneDrive, Microsoft Edge enables you to be more productive, organized and creative without sacrificing your battery life or security. As always, we look forward to feedback from our WIP community.

I'm not sure what the point of users setting a default browser choice is, if MS decide to override it. The justification for consistency is a terrible one, so I imagine this will get a lot of negative feedback and be rolled back.

Reaction score
Is that the intention? - Terrible!

I am not using the insider program currently. I don't see that mentioned in the clip you have inserted?.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is that the intention? - Terrible!

I am not using the insider program currently. I don't see that mentioned in the clip you have inserted?.

Yep, I don't think it'll go down well!

The quote came from the link that @Trouble posted above, it's the first bullet point under the heading "General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC".

Reaction score
OK. Obviously you meant the forced link to Edge, of which I disapprove, is a definite no no for me, although I am an Edge user. This, combined with their constant changing the Edge user back as the default with every update, is really going to get to me.
Hopefully, if we can force our favourite bowser to remain as the default, we will have an override option there. -hopefully.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was reading about this a week or so ago when Wired and Verge both had articles about the subject
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/16/17130566/microsoft-windows-10-mail-edge-default-links

I remember believing at the time that this was a test configuration that would not make it into a public release product, but.....
Maybe it will.
AND
Yes, people will grumble, rant and complain but in the end, I am never surprised at the level of BS people will ultimately just settle for and put up with.

I think we all know by now, that there will probably be some registry hack to get around it.
Just like they included that "New open in edge button" on the new tab row in IE.
I guess it's all about market share, apparently at all levels and including all bits and bobs.

What I don't understand is.....
It used to be about the install base, which never made much sense to me, because if you had Windows installed you had their browser automatically.
Similarly, Linux will usually net you and install of Firefox and Apple will generally equal.... Safari.
BUT
Now it seems to be about actual use... who's using which browser to connect to the internet??
There must be a link somewhere to data harvesting or something, otherwise who would actually even care which browser you used.
IF it is actually linked to browser advertising, then I would have to agree.....
Forcing someone to use your browser is probably not the best way to advertise, neither the "browser" nor any embedded advertising.

Reaction score
Yes, people will grumble, rant and complain but in the end, I am never surprised at the level of BS people will ultimately just settle for and put up with."

In all walks of life. Lot of it here in this country. As a nation, they seem to accept pretty much everything with a smile. Regarded internationally as the happiest country in the world.

We had a slogan pinned to the ATC unit where I spent a large part of my life,
"If you can keep your head, whilst those around you lose theirs, then you have lost the big picture"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question