Instalation failed in the safe OS phase with error during Boot. 0xC1900101-0x200

Reaction score
Still trying to update to windows 10. Have updated windows 7 w/sp1 and have checked that my computer is ready for update 10. Everything goes great until final shut-down and restart.Then I get black screen with Blue Flag and locks up, will not go any further. After 5 hours of waiting tried turning off and it restarted and gave this error message: Instalation failed in the safe OS phase with error during Boot. 0xC1900101-0x20017
Can anybody help? Please

Reaction score
You are not alone I had and still have this problem with an acer laptop I have tried everything I first experienced it with an early preview build the only way round it for me was to do a clean install which is not a lot of help as it will not activate, I am not sure why Microsoft will not let us activate with out win 7/8 keys. This is not a new error code people had this problem moving from win 8 to 8.1 it seems there is not a one fix all as what works for some will not work for others. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...01-20017/ef56c7f6-dbd8-457e-a495-481074b90af7 lots more like this seems a bit hopeless.

Reaction score
The problem is a compatibility issue between Windows and Intel's Broadcom Wi-Fi chip in most laptops. I had the same issue and when I swapped the Broadcom Wi-Fi chip for an Atheros Wi-Fi chip then it installed no problem. Other Wi-Fi chips may work but im not 100% as ive only tested this with an Atheros chip. Disabling the Broadcom driver wont make a difference the whole card needs replaced. You can test this by removing the Wi-Fi card and using the LAN cable to your router but once you put the broadcom Wi-Fi card back in it still wont boot even if windows 10 installed successfully. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it was worth a try but no luck i'm afraid. I don't think there is a magic bullet for this problem it works for some but not others but thanks for posting it was worth giving it a go.

Ask a Question