Windows 10 anniversary update instalation issue

Reaction score
I have a Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11. It has 32 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of memory. It came with Windows 10. The problem I am having is a inability to install the Windows 10 Aniversary update. Because it has such a small hard drive, there is not required space in order to download the update. It says I need at least 20 gigs available. The windows 10 operating system itself, uses over 20 of the hard drives total 32 gigs. Using the cleanup feature in windows does nothing to help with this problem. I tried resetting the laptop in hopes that somehow that would enable me to download the update. Once again that did not help. I do have a 64 gig SD card installed where I have stored apps an other files. I don't know if that could be utilized in some way to assist in the installation. I am at wits end and I am frustrated. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you so much for the help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

From what I've been reading Microsoft do suggest using SD Cards or a USB connected storage device for installing the Anniversary Update on low storage machines; however, it seems from others reporting back that the setup does not always recognize an attach SD card so that may become an issue for you.

I think probably the easier way would be to download the Windows 10 Anniversary ISO image and use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create an USB installation stick instead. You'll want a good sized stick larger that 4GB if possible.

If you go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 you can click the Download tool now button. Note: Do not click the Update now button!
  • That will download the Media Creation tool and once downloaded launch it.
  • You'll see the standard Microsoft License page pop up. Click Accept
  • Next choose Create installation media for another PC then click Next
  • The next screen required you select the Architecture (i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit), and Language and Edition of Windows 10. This ought to automatically fill in with the correct information, but check it is correct and adjust if necessary. Note: It must be the same as your current installed Windows.

Once you have confirmed the selections are correct click Next

• The next screen gets you to choose the device you will be using for installation. Assuming you have got a USB stick larger than 4GB select USB flash drive. If you would prefer to create a DVD or multiple CD's instead to use for installing, then select ISO instead.

Once you've made your choice click Next

• Now you need to wait as the software downloads. That could take up to 1 hour depending on your Internet speeds and the Microsoft Server.
  • Assuming you created with the device attached to your Cloudbook, when the software has downloaded simply open the device and run the Setup. If you created this on a different computer, then boot up the Cloudbook and connect the device to the Cloudbook, then open the device and click Setup.
  • When Setup starts you'll see a splash screen with the option to Download and install updates (Recommended) or Not right now. As you have limited space I'd recommend you choose Not right now as this will #1 speed up the update, and #2 prevent any space issues.

So choose Not right now then click Next

Next click Accept to agree to Microsoft's license rules etcetera.

Next check its keeping your files and settings. If not adjust that then click Install

Now sit back and let it do its thing.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question