SOLVED Installed GeForce Game Ready driver and now crashing

Reaction score
Apologized for posting to general support forum - probably more appropriate for Crash / BSOD forum - think a mod needs to move it?
---------

I upgraded my Acer Nitro v17 laptop recently to W10 from 8.1. Everything went well and I was very happy with W10. I then installed Steam and tried playing DiRT Rally and the graphics performance was awful so I decided to use the GeForce Game Ready driver for my GTX 960m gpu. After installing it seemed to update again and then wanted another reboot, after the second reboot the system now crashes shortly after login, before I can change anything.
If this was the old days of W7 I would boot to safe mode and uninstall the Game Ready driver and probably be right back in business but now I am not sure how to recover from this without messing up my otherwise perfectly configured system. I do have the W10 full DVD and the USB W10 install flash drive that was produced from the W10 media creation tool intended for W10 upgrades that can be done as 'clean' installs. I wound up using the DVD instead to do the install since I wanted to run the auto-attend step to move user profiles to the D: drive, which requires the winstall.wim file which is not included on the USB image.

I would really appreciate help so I can make sure any recovery steps won't trash my exciting install. I just want to get to a state where I can remove the Game Ready driver or rollback to a state before it was installed (not sure about W10 checkpoints and rollback capabilities)

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If this was the old days of W7 I would boot to safe mode and uninstall the Game Ready driver and probably be right back in business but now I am not sure how to recover from this without messing up my otherwise perfectly configured system.
The technique should be the same.
Use Safe Mode to uninstall the driver. You should be able to use the power icon on the sign in screen and hold the shift key while clicking restart.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
OR
I like to use DDU while in Safe Mode to completely remove the driver and any remnants. http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=276
NOTE: Laptops can be a bit finicky when it comes to hardware drivers and generally it is best to always use the driver(s) provided by the system manufacturer for your specific system.

Reaction score
Many thanks Trouble! Followed the instructions to select 'restart' from the login screen while holding down <shift> and got into the troubleshooting screen allowing 'safe mode' boot. Removed NVidia Game Experience driver and everything is back up and running great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Glad you were able to resolve your problem.
Thanks for the follow-up, much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question