SOLVED Installing Windows 10 from the ISO

Reaction score
I downloaded the ISO file some time ago now and tried installing Windows 10 from it. However when I use my genuine Win 7 product key it says it is no good.
I've even had MS tech guys in my computer and they failed to get it working. They say I need second line support. Has anyone else had the same problem and overcome it?

Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand why MS did not suggest something!

You cannot install, for an activated Windows 10, without upgrading in the first instance, in order to register it with the motherboard.

Reaction score
Ahh so it needs to be updated, then the install ISO works at a later stage?
The problem is Windows update is not working on mine, and MS tech wasn't able to get it working. They suggested a clean install of Windows 7 but that's exactly what I have lol

Reaction score
Did you change the motherboard? Another issue is when MS first released Windows 10 it required you to have Windows 7 or 8.1 installed first. Later they released a ISO that allowed you to do an install without having Windows 7 or 8.1 installed but you could enter the Key of the upgraded product and Windows 10 would install. You may need to download a new ISO.

Reaction score
Changing the motherboard with an OEM OS license is treating like it's a new computer. The OEM Windows is tied to the original motherboard. Now you can replace with the same motherboard if it breaks but an upgrade makes it a new PC by definition.

Reaction score
Changing the motherboard with an OEM OS license is treating like it's a new computer. The OEM Windows is tied to the original motherboard. Now you can replace with the same motherboard if it breaks but an upgrade makes it a new PC by definition.
I see. However what has it got to do with Microsoft what motherboard I choose to use? I don't understand?

Reaction score
Did Microsoft help have any relevant comment?
Nope. They spent a full hour doing things to my PC, mostly things I'd already done like download the supposed fix for Windows upgrade not working.
They simply said I needed to go to second level support to find a solution.

Reaction score
We may need to clear some things up. You say you have a fresh install of Windows 7 and it is SP1. If so, is it activated and are you getting updates for it since you mentioned earlier the updates are not working.

A fresh install of Windows 7 should have no problem doing updates. When many updates are required it may take several days and you may need to help by doing a manual check for updates and shutting down the system occasionally so it can complete all prior updates.

Once that is done you will end up getting the one update which allows for the Win 10 upgrade. If you want to use an .iso file there are three ways. Mount the .iso and use the setup option from within Windows 7. Burning the .iso image to a DVD or create an install flash drive and run the setup from within Win 7. As was mentioned, unless you have a retail license for Win 10 you need to do an upgrade install since a clean install will not allow the system to be registered.

If you need help with your Windows 7 updates let us know or go to a Windows 7 forum.

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded the iso all over again and it has worked fine, thanks for that suggestion Jake, I wonder why MS tech's couldn't suss that one?
Thanks everyone for their time.

Reaction score
I see. However what has it got to do with Microsoft what motherboard I choose to use? I don't understand?

Well what motherboard you have has more to do with the OEM. Upgrading a motherboard is considered a new PC. Now if your motherboard goes bad and you replace with the same one it's not considered a new PC. That's why if you have a mobo replaced under warranty by the OEM they reactivate Windows if needed.

Reaction score
Ahh so it needs to be updated, then the install ISO works at a later stage?
The problem is Windows update is not working on mine, and MS tech wasn't able to get it working. They suggested a clean install of Windows 7 but that's exactly what I have lol

Reaction score
Go to Microsoft Widows website and download the latest Win 7 Update to your HD or a thumb drive and install it from there, No update = no Win 10

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, I up graded from Win 8.1 though. My graphics card had a problem staying connected to its driver. So I ended up doing a complete reinstall. It seemed like I had Win 10 back but some things didn't work right.
So : I checked to see if Win 10 was activated and it wasn't.
So : The first time I up graded my Win 8 code worked but now it won't work.
So : I did what you did and let a lady from Microsoft take control of my computer and she couldn't get it to work.
So : She told me to hang on, she went to her supervisor and got a new number that worked.
So : That's my experience
Did you ask them to define "second line support" I'd like to know what that is ?
Win 10 works fine now and no complaints.
I know this thread is marked SOLVED but I though I'd post anyway.

Ask a Question