SOLVED Intel Core i7-*7820x CPU Yellow Exclamation Marks - Help please?

mfx

Reaction score
Hi

Just imaged my machine along with installing x new m.2 SSD.
I noticed in the device windows for processors that each individual core was displaying the yellow explanation marks.
"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternative driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"
Windows update is upto date.
Unable to update driver locally.
Everything appears to be fine.

Any ideas of what I need to do to resolve this please.

Thank you.

M

mfx

Reaction score
this may help:

Hi thank you. Funny enough I'd already come across that post.

The HW change ha been replacing the OS drive.

Ive rebooted, searched for drivers. Not sure why this is happening or how to resolve.

Dont really want to remove new drive.

The attached information messages as follows (not sure if any help) under the individual core properties of the processors:

Events / Device migrated:

Device ACPI\GenuineIntel_-Intel64_Family_6_Model_85-Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i7-7820X_CPU@_3.60GHz\_0 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: ACPI\GenuineIntel_-Intel64_Family_6_Model_85-Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i7-7820X_CPU@_3.60GHz\_0
Class Guid: {50127dc3-0f36-415e-a6cc-4cb3be910b65}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true

Events / Device Configured (cpu inf):

Device ACPI\GenuineIntel_-Intel64_Family_6_Model_85-Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i7-7820X_CPU@_3.60GHz\_0 was configured.

Driver Name: cpu.inf
Driver Date: 04/21/2009
Driver Version: 10.0.17763.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: IntelPPM_Inst.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0004
Matching Device Id: ACPI\GenuineIntel_-_Intel64
Outranked Drivers: cpu.inf:ACPI\Processor:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: ACPI\ACPI0004\CPUSCK0

Events / Device started (intelppm)
Device ACPI\GenuineIntel_-Intel64_Family_6_Model_85-Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i7-7820X_CPU@_3.60GHz\_0 was started.

Driver Name: cpu.inf
Service: intelppm
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:

Thanks

M

Last edited:

mfx

Reaction score
Hi

Im not sure how to fix this. As its the CPU driver whats the best approach?
Ive been on intels website and there are no drivers available.

A little stuck still.

Doesn't appear to be hindering anything but I really would like to just get rid of the annoyance.

Thanks

Reaction score
Since this is a strange situation and you say it was working until you installed a new M.2 drive, I would try going back to the normal drive and see if it clears up. The M.2 drive does use PCIe resources a normal SATA drive does not.

It could also be you have some overlapping resources with the M.2 drive installed so you might check if using the M.2 slot turns off any other resource you are also using. Can we assume the M.2 drive is a NVMe version and it set correctly for that?

mfx

Reaction score
Since this is a strange situation and you say it was working until you installed a new M.2 drive, I would try going back to the normal drive and see if it clears up. The M.2 drive does use PCIe resources a normal SATA drive does not.

It could also be you have some overlapping resources with the M.2 drive installed so you might check if using the M.2 slot turns off any other resource you are also using. Can we assume the M.2 drive is a NVMe version and it set correctly for that?

Hi Thanks for the response and apologies for my slow reply (illness).

I only happened to notice this post installation, however without reinstallingthge orignal SD and removeing the new drive Im not going to know I guess.

There seems to be no issues with whats installed; Firewire expansion card all working with a firewire soundcard attached.
Graphics running fine.
All drives attached running fine.
I may try and find time to do the roll back to the old drive and remove the m.2 drive, Im stuck in the middle of work, family and projects so little time to do all this. Not that I am not bothered, jsut simply not enough time.

Im going to contact the seller and see if they know of any settings in bios that may need changing.

I dont really understand why exclamation marks woud be showing up for the CPU, a core component, but running fine.

Asus x299a
7820 4.6ghz
32GB Ram @ 3000
Nvidia 1050ti
Firewire card

mfx

Reaction score
OK solved it. Turns out quite an easy one and appears nothing to do with the SSD.

The solution was as follows:

WHAT I DID TO FIX THIS ISSUE:

Disable automatic driver installation.

1) Opened Devices and Printers.
2) Right-clicked my computer's device icon and clicked on Device Installation Settings.
3) I set the option to No Let me choose what to do -> Never install driver software from Windows Update.
4) I kept the bottom checkbox checked.

Method 2: Reinstall the processor driver

Use Device Manager to reinstall the processor driver, and then restart the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
    Start button
    , type Devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then click Devmgmt.msc.

User Account Control permission
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  2. In Device Manager, expand the Processors node, and then double-click the first processor that is listed.
  3. Click the Driver tab.
  4. Click Update Driver.
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Under Model, click the processor that includes the name of the manufacturer of your processor. For example, click the processor that corresponds to Intel, AMD, VIA, or another manufacturer. Click Next.
  8. Click Close.
  9. Repeat steps 2 through 8 for each processor that is listed under Processors.
  10. Restart the computer. After the computer is restarted, the correct processor information is listed in Device Manager under Processors.

Links:

Ask a Question