Is an MS Account a requirement?

Reaction score
If one every takes an All-in-One computer apart they'll note the similarity of the motherboard to a Notebook/Laptop. Some even use the same type AC Power Adapter. Biggest problem with those type computers is there is not much one can customize in them.

Reaction score
Well laptops motherboard are customized as the cases aren't standard like desktops. So your basically limited the same motherboard. That wouldn't be considered a new machine.

Reaction score
Yes but if a motherboard breaks it can be replaced with the same motherboard (desktop or laptop). It only becomes a different PC if the motherboard is upgraded. That's why it's best to have the mobo changed by the OEM and they will activate windows before you get the machine back.

Reaction score
Yes but if a motherboard breaks it can be replaced with the same motherboard (desktop or laptop). It only becomes a different PC if the motherboard is upgraded. That's why it's best to have the mobo changed by the OEM and they will activate windows before you get the machine back.

You don't have to go to the manufacturer or OEM as you put it. I upgraded my motherboard (even changed brands) and I had no problem activating that new board myself with my MS account. I then used my local account after that.

Reaction score
You don't have to go to the manufacturer or OEM as you put it. I upgraded my motherboard (even changed brands) and I had no problem activating that new board myself with my MS account. I then used my local account after that.

Well i didn't say you have to go to the OEM but its free if you do and if it's under warranty. Then you get it back already activated and with a new motherboard. Did you have an OEM machine with an OEM license? Because MS hasn't really been clear on if the policy of upgrading the mobo makes it a new PC since Windows 10. Previous to WIndows 10 upgrading a MOBO was considered and new PC. Upgrading wouldn't activate without MS itself helping you activate.

Also in previous Windows free upgrades to the next OS the install files had to come from the OEM and not MS. I have purchased a matching in the past that if I purchase a machine (under the old free upgrade policy) with the current Windows 3 months before a new OS was released the new OS was free. I had to signup with the OEM and they shipped the install media. Windows 10 the upgrade install file came direct from MS.

Reaction score
Well i didn't say you have to go to the OEM but its free if you do and if it's under warranty. Then you get it back already activated and with a new motherboard. Did you have an OEM machine with an OEM license? Because MS hasn't really been clear on if the policy of upgrading the mobo makes it a new PC since Windows 10. Previous to WIndows 10 upgrading a MOBO was considered and new PC. Upgrading wouldn't activate without MS itself helping you activate.

Also in previous Windows free upgrades to the next OS the install files had to come from the OEM and not MS. I have purchased a matching in the past that if I purchase a machine (under the old free upgrade policy) with the current Windows 3 months before a new OS was released the new OS was free. I had to signup with the OEM and they shipped the install media. Windows 10 the upgrade install file came direct from MS.

No. My computers are all built by me. We are talking about Windows 10 not previous operating systems. As I said before as long as you use your MS account when changing motherboards you won't have a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No. My computers are all built by me. We are talking about Windows 10 not previous operating systems. As I said before as long as you use your MS account when changing motherboards you won't have a problem.

Did you install Windows 10 OEM (system builder) or Windows 10 Retail? That used to make a difference.

Ask a Question