Is old HP desktop suitable for Zoom?

Reaction score
I'm being pressured to attend a Zoom meeting. I've no idea if my old HP desktop is capable. Its years old and is Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz. I'm not a hugely technical person, and for now I'm happy with it. I'm not sure I want to Zoom, but just curious if I could. I don't have a laptop. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Here are the Zoom specifications for hardware and software. So it looks like you should have no problem. Also, there are 2 others to consider using. MS has Teams. and Google has Meet. It seems everyone is picking and suing Zoom. All require a browser as this is web based.

Reaction score
I appreciate the link and I've had a quick look. Most of it goes above my head. If I say I've never had a microphone or a video link etc., and have never gone into this kind of thing, you'll get the picture. I have 2 speakers attached, and a set of headphones to listen to YouTube and my music, and that's as far as I've ever wanted to go. It's never appealed to me to converse while in my nighty and curlers. :( I thought that as my pc is rather old, and no longer supported by HP, there was a good excuse to say 'no' to joining in on the Zoom meeting. Am I wrong?

Reaction score
It's never appealed to me to converse while in my nighty and curlers. I thought that as my pc is rather old, and no longer supported by HP, there was a good excuse to say 'no' to joining in on the Zoom meeting. Am I wrong?
I wouldn't have a problem conversing wearing curlers IF I had any hair left.

There is no problem using old for an excuse, every thing gets that way, usually sooner than we want. I use it in a more positive way, just say that at least I can still do something albeit somewhat slower.

Reaction score
I am old too (60years) and every day tasks getting done slower, not significantly but I noticed that time starts to run away from me. That does not mean I am not open for new things.
Regarding computer: You simply have to try what your system is capable of. My laptop that I am writing this with was originally purchased with Windows XP, however it runs on Windows 10 as fast as one can expect it. For my daily routine it is still fast enough. Although I am stuck at Version 1803 with this one due to hardware support issues, it does what I want it to do.
I even can Skype on it fairly fluently and since Zoom is basically not that much different (I think - never tried it) you might want to take a chance and try it. If you don't like it, delete it again and forget about it....

The decision is yours to make..

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem conversing wearing curlers IF I had any hair left.

There is no problem using old for an excuse, every thing gets that way, usually sooner than we want. I use it in a more positive way, just say that at least I can still do something albeit somewhat slower.
Thanks for understanding. I too am getting on a bit, not to mention the problem of retention of new information . I still enjoy a challenge, but skyping, or zooming have not been that important for me to learn lately. I have come to terms with WhatsApp though and it's been nice to see family. What has been challenging is staying on top of on-line shopping for the first time, and working out what I want for the next one (if I get a slot at all for a home delivery) This takes up a lot of time. Thanks again and stay well.

Reaction score
All require a browser as this is web based.
Zoom actually has a native Windows app you can install which in my experience offers slightly better performance when multiple users are on the same screen than the web browser.

Download for Windows - Zoom

The app is compatible with all Windows version from XP SP3 & up. Free accounts are limited to 40 minutes

Reaction score
Greetings~

Zoom is kind of the "in thing" right now .. AND has been the subject of MANY issues ... so I (personally) would not suggest it ...UNLESS it is NECESSARY to keep in touch with people ..

IF I may suggest a different alternative for voice/vid chat ...that I personaly use.
And have used for quite a few years

Discord ..
It's was ORIGINALLY made by gamers for gamers .. BUT .. it HAS expanded ALOT since its inception it is easy to use for non gamers as well...

It's light on system resources.
And QUITE easy to configure.
I have used MANY voice/vid chat services through the years(Skype, Mplayer, OovoO etc.) and I HONESTLY ..can't recommend Discord enough to people.

JUST REMEMBER .. whatever service you decide to use .. (if any ) .. if you don't feel comfortable doing voice or vid chat ... you DONT HAVE TO .. its YOUR CHOICE how you want to communicate with people ...

UNLESS, of course, it happens to be required by your employer or educational institution, then, that's a different story altogether. Again, it's always YOUR CHOICE how you want to communicate ;)

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY .. work for or hold stock in any of the above-mentioned voice/vid chat services.. I'm just a user like everyone else and recommending different services to people.
***End of Disclaimer***

Best of luck.
LoneWolf :)

Reaction score
I sm a ( fairly) happy user of zoom. One thing that i don’t think has bern mentioned - you do need a fairly good internet server.
I began with Skype, but the requiirement that sll users needed to have MS accounts, ( Does that still apply?) made it a problem for wide chatting
By the way, Bassfisher, your post #2, did you mean “using”, snd not “suing”. Quite a significant difference!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I sm a ( fairly) happy user of zoom. One thing that i don’t think has bern mentioned - you do need a fairly good internet server.
I began with Skype, but the requiirement that sll users needed to have MS accounts, ( Does that still apply?) made it a problem for wide chatting

Dave~
As far as the Zoom aspect and good conection .. yeah you are correct .. which is why I suggested Discord .. its ALOT LIGHTER on resources than Zoom .. I DO have to use Zoom for telmed meetings so im "locked" for that .. but for my "every day /daily" vid chat with fends and family I use Discord ..

I can have Discord goin and Play an MMO and have other things goin at the same time .. and MANY TIMES .. the stuff i have goinin takes up SOMETIMES more that Discord does in the same session depending on what im doing .. but Discord realy does take a "back seat" to resources ..

Regarding Skype:
Last I was aware(about 3-4 years back .. that beingf the last time I activly used skype)) , you don't HAVE to have an MS account 'per se'.. its optional .. as long as you have a vaild email address ( i used my gmail addy) that is "registerd" by/with MS to have to acess stuff .. (yeah convoluted i know ) you SHOULD be all good ..

Reaction score
It may have happened when Microsoft bought Skype? No idea as I no longer use it.
Problem is, if I tried and liked your suggestion, I have to convince my contacts — mostly family - to change.
Currently none of us are suffering from lack of resources, all even with fairly old gear

Just downloaded Discord, whilst we have been chatting. Not too happy with them wanting my password with the email - none of their concern!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It may have happened when Microsoft bought Skype? No idea as I no longer use it.
Problem is, if I tried and liked your suggestion, I have to convince my contacts — mostly family - to change.
Currently none of us are suffering from lack of resources, all even with fairly old gear

Just downloaded Discord, whilst we have been chatting. Not too happy with them wanting my password with the email - none of their concern!

Dave~
Reagrding Skype .. yes you are correct MS now owns Skype

Regarding Discord:
Yes they ask for an email addy .. but you CAN CHOOSE your own password for it .. once you sign up ..

IF my memory serves correctly as well .. the email addy is ONLY for verification and if you need a pass word reset .. and you CAN CHOOSE to sign in with diffrent servies .. or just as a stand alone ..

If you chose to "migrate" (sign in WITH a particualr service) yes it WILL use those credentials .. to log you in .. .

BUT you can TOTALLY just sign up with your email addrress and separate credentials ..

For instance(for me)
When I first registed with Discord ..

I Set it up as a NEW Discord account.. used my gmail .. and set a password .. SPECIFIALLY with discord ..

I DID NOT choose the buttons that Say "Log in with [name if service] ) i justcreated a separate Log in ..

Reaction score
Ok. I’ll stay where I am for now. First screen said I needed to register with email and password. I dont think i am ready to swish around with changing passwords etc, just fot that

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to run Zoom - on that setup. I have an even OLDER, slower Dell 5150 running a Pentium D945 with only 3GB ram (but SSD drive) that is capable of running ZOOM meetings on dual 1080 monitor setup.

As noted above, you want to get the Zoom desktop app, which allows you click a zoom link, which opens the browser, prompts you to open Zoom, then close the browser and continue with Zoom only, which lets you get acceptable performance from a marginal system.

I've had acceptable results using a simple $36 USB webcam/microphone bought online, but I do suggest a headphones/microphone setup if you're going to be talking for any length of time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Our Church has been using ZOOM for Sunday services and one of my Christian brothers has been using Google MEET for our weekly Bible study. I am using a 5 year old laptop, Dell Inspiron with Win 10 Pro, to participate in these online events, as a result of corona virus shutdowns. I am 87 years old and not a genius in computer use, but I have no problem in using this new (to me) technology. The only things that I must remember to do when getting ready for a presentation is to turn on the mike, video, and sound features on the laptop, then sit back and enjoy!

Reaction score
Using ZOOM effectively requires a fair amount of bandwidth. If you have low speed internet, then nothing you have as a machine is gonna matter much. But most high-speed internet users can effect ZOOM. But a word of caution: While you may be able to "run" ZOOM on your rig, the quality of your audio, and video, as received by the others in the meeting will matter. Video freezing and pixelating, and audio fluctuating between bad and worse, will make you be the one in the meeting nobody wants to hear from. So it depends on your input to the conversation.

Reaction score
I'm being pressured to attend a Zoom meeting. I've no idea if my old HP desktop is capable. Its years old and is Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz. I'm not a hugely technical person, and for now I'm happy with it. I'm not sure I want to Zoom, but just curious if I could. I don't have a laptop. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I have a five year old Lenovo and it will NOT Zoom without adding a microphone, video something, audio and gawd knows what else. One thing I noticed is Zoom is way too complicated. I have Zoom on my cell phone but when the doctor tried to contact me, Zoom wouldn't work on his end - something about the HIPPA thing. My wife and I can communicate via WhatsApp on our cell phones but can't find anyone else who has it. Too may different apps and most are only compatible with Apple...

Reaction score
I've been using Zoom for the past couple months with zero problems. I'm using an 2014 ASUS Rogue with an SSD & 16 Gigs of sheep. Oh, pardon me, I mean RAM.
The Internet speed here? Compare it with a little herd of wild crippled turtles and I still have zero problems.

Reaction score
YOU have had no problems, but what about the other attendees? I know in our application, we have several that have low bandwidth and we have to disable their video in order to listen to their comments. Trying to do both, with little, to no crippled turtles, makes it a horror to try to view. At least, that's our experience.
But some devices, at times, are woeful. I had a test meeting earlier using my main rig as host, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 9), and an ASUS T100T (Win 10), as participant devices. The Windows device did well. The Samsung, not so much. And they were on the same network, even though the Tab S5e is IMEI equipped. So, all in all, it's good when it's good, and not so much, when it's not.

Reaction score
I am old too (60years) and every day tasks getting done slower, not significantly but I noticed that time starts to run away from me. That does not mean I am not open for new things.
Regarding computer: You simply have to try what your system is capable of. My laptop that I am writing this with was originally purchased with Windows XP, however it runs on Windows 10 as fast as one can expect it. For my daily routine it is still fast enough. Although I am stuck at Version 1803 with this one due to hardware support issues, it does what I want it to do.
I even can Skype on it fairly fluently and since Zoom is basically not that much different (I think - never tried it) you might want to take a chance and try it. If you don't like it, delete it again and forget about it....

The decision is yours to make..
I'm 86 and had no problems using Zoom with an Android tablet during these virus problems. I simply didn't consider having problems. As for appearance, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as you know

Ask a Question