Is old HP desktop suitable for Zoom?

Reaction score
YOU have had no problems, but what about the other attendees? I know in our application, we have several that have low bandwidth and we have to disable their video in order to listen to their comments. Trying to do both, with little, to no crippled turtles, makes it a horror to try to view. At least, that's our experience.
But some devices, at times, are woeful. I had a test meeting earlier using my main rig as host, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 9), and an ASUS T100T (Win 10), as participant devices. The Windows device did well. The Samsung, not so much. And they were on the same network, even though the Tab S5e is IMEI equipped. So, all in all, it's good when it's good, and not so much, when it's not.

I'm not hosting the Zoom meetings so cannot answer for the others on there. I don't doubt based on what you have stated & what has been posted on here, that some possibly could have snags with whom I'm communicating but so don't they with Skype, Facetime (or whatever it's called) and with some of the others. The technology isn't perfect as you know well, so there's going to be greater or smaller doses of joyful grief hither and yon with all of them I suppose.

Now saying all that, watch me on the next Zoom meeting have my laptop burst into a ball of flame & level the whole house!

Thank you for your feedback. Appreciated!

Reaction score
LOL! Maybe not..., hopefully not. I wasn't just talking about the host, I was talking about being a participant. You know, in the conversation. Have you seen the news shows where people are all reporting, or being interviewed from home? Sometimes they lost connectivity, or volume, or the image pixelates so much that it freezes? That's what I meant. Just trying to communicate with low bandwidth makes watching and listening a chore.

But don't burn the house down! LOL!

Reaction score
I have so seen on the TV what you're referring to. Seeing those freezing up while being interviewed does make one want to switch to the Three Stooges or something more serious such as Sesame Street.
If I see a mushroom cloud ascending from the back of this computer, I'm out of here! LOL!!!

Reaction score
Here is the data from Zoom's official support page.
Bandwidth Requirements

2.0 Mbps up and down for single screen
2.0 Mbps up 4.0 Mbps down for dual screen
2.0 Mbps up 6.0 Mbps down for triple screen
For screen sharing only: 150-300kbps
For audio VoIP: 60-80kbps
Zoom Rooms Platform Requirements
Minimum OS:
Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.10 and higher
Windows 7 and higher

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
So, you said all that to say what? Most people are not going to understand any of that. All of that "official" information may be good for your edification. But does it help the guy asking the question about his old HP?

Good research though....

Reaction score
Greetings~

Zoom is kind of the "in thing" right now .. AND has been the subject of MANY issues ... so I (personally) would not suggest it ...UNLESS it is NECESSARY to keep in touch with people ..

IF I may suggest a different alternative for voice/vid chat ...that I personaly use.
And have used for quite a few years

Discord ..
It's was ORIGINALLY made by gamers for gamers .. BUT .. it HAS expanded ALOT since its inception it is easy to use for non gamers as well...

It's light on system resources.
And QUITE easy to configure.
I have used MANY voice/vid chat services through the years(Skype, Mplayer, OovoO etc.) and I HONESTLY ..can't recommend Discord enough to people.

JUST REMEMBER .. whatever service you decide to use .. (if any ) .. if you don't feel comfortable doing voice or vid chat ... you DONT HAVE TO .. its YOUR CHOICE how you want to communicate with people ...

UNLESS, of course, it happens to be required by your employer or educational institution, then, that's a different story altogether. Again, it's always YOUR CHOICE how you want to communicate ;)

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY .. work for or hold stock in any of the above-mentioned voice/vid chat services.. I'm just a user like everyone else and recommending different services to people.
***End of Disclaimer***

Best of luck.
LoneWolf :)
That's only a good "alternative" if everyone else has it too. It's no different from using ZOOM. "Good alternative" is subjective, at best.

Reaction score
I have a six year old:
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO I1KT44AUS, 11/14/2014
I ran the Zoom requirements which checks the computer and it is a no go - my computer is missing stuff like video, microphone, etc.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have a six year old:
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO I1KT44AUS, 11/14/2014
I ran the Zoom requirements which checks the computer and it is a no go - my computer is missing stuff like video, microphone, etc.
What's your exact make/model?

Reaction score
1608527608963.png
Lenovo

Reaction score
Hello,i am using hp intel pentium for zoom meetings but unfortunately my screen blackout and I have to shutdown the system before it stops,please I need your assistance on this issue

Reaction score
One VERY important point -
ZOOM meetings will run on a Pentium, BUT you have to close unnecessary background programs-

First, close all the unused background apps on the taskbar, e.g. Dropbox, MS Onedrive, Chrome, Scanner Drivers,

Second, hit the 'Windows' key and type "task" - that should bring up "taskmanager" - select "run as administrator" and type in the administrator password. Click the "performance" tab and look at CPU%. If you're at 75 or 99%, to many background processes is likely your problem.

Third go to the Processes tab and start closing background processes by right-clicking on them and selecting "end task": do this for any "updater" and for programs you're not currently using- Adobe processes, calculator, calendar, Dropbox, Google Chrome, Mail, MS OneDrive, Movies & TV, QT (Quicktime),Windows Media Server, X-Box, YourPhone; etc.

After you clear all of those "background" processes, you should see the CPU% drop substantially, and you should get a much better ZOOM experience. My 2006 Dell Dimension, 4GB, Pentium-D, running Windows 10, runs ZOOM at about 50% CPU use,

Last edited:

Ask a Question