Is Windows Defender good enough?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I watched the video from Britec (link below), he dumped several malware files on his W10 and it found them all. :D

So, I guess my question is, can it really be trusted over other AV software?. (I am using it btw and have not had a problem!).

My system is fully up-to-date with the latest build:

Windows 10 Home.
Version 1703.
OS Build 1063.138.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/bri...-offer-enough-protection-in-windows-10.63482/

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Windows Defender is one of the few Anti-virus solutions available for Windows that is not affected by the DoubleAgent exploit.

What is DoubleAgent you ask?

The Hacker News said:
Dubbed DoubleAgent, the new injecting code technique works on all versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, starting from Windows XP to the latest release of Windows 10.

What's worse? DoubleAgent exploits a 15-years-old undocumented legitimate feature of Windows called "Application Verifier," which cannot be patched.

Source: https://thehackernews.com/2017/03/hacking-windows-dll-injection.html
The most dangerous virus however always sits in front of the computer..

Problem Exists Between the Keyboard and Chair ;) aka PEBKAC lol

Reaction score
In the earlier days of W10 I have been quite sure that some of the problems reported here were caused by aftermarket virus checkers...perhaps they were out of date when a Windows download or update happened...who knows.. I have used MIcrosoft's AV since Windows 7 and I have never had any of these problems on my PCs, both Insider and production. I also use Malware bytes . I intend to stick with Defender.

I DO wonder now IPV6 is used more whether the Windows firewall is sophisticated enough for V6.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
It is, IPv6 is fully supported. What the Windows firewall doesn't seem to support is dynamic intrusion blocking behaviour based.

sighlt offtopic: There is a nifty free firewall by evorim http://www.evorim.com/en/free-firewall I am running tests on virtual machines about that and other similar free firewalls

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Data,

I tend to stick with the default FW settings, I have used them for ever and never have a problem, it is when I have relied on 3rd party software in the past that my troubles started (I am not saying the link you provided isn't any good).

I just use the common settings and seem to be okay!: :D

firewall.JPG

Reaction score
I never have been nor will I ever be a friend to Software firewalls. IMHO these are placebos to lull the user into a false mind of security.
Security is a concept, not solely a software.

Bif

Reaction score
I never have been nor will I ever be a friend to Software firewalls. IMHO these are placebos to lull the user into a false mind of security.
Agreed 100%...

Reaction score
I did uncheck all the "Public" boxes in the firewall settings as I am at home on this particular PC and only need the private boxes ticked!. :)

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score

Or hardware or anything else you may want to throw in there :D In the end nothing is as secure as you may want to believe.
Not even air gapped machines are immune, so your theory is lovely to the point, that its only a theory. :D eh?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Redundant disconnect :D have no machine to begin with.

Reaction score
No, Windows Defender should not be utilized, as it's not reliable.

Windows Defender has consistently ranked in the upper 80% discovery range, which is horrendous for an antivirus/antimalware software. The best gauge of which product one should use should not be taken from some random user's opinion, but from independent testing done by reputable third party organizations, such as PC Mag or Virus Bulletin.
When looking for internet security suites or antivirus & antimalware programs (they're not the thing and both are required for security), one should focus on high detection and low false positives, combined with HIPS and sandboxing.
  • Windows Defender will become reliable over time due to the tens of millions Microsoft has dumped into their threat detection departments, however it will likely not be on par with well known antimalware/antivirus companies until at least 2020, if not beyond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...What the Windows firewall doesn't seem to support is dynamic intrusion blocking behaviour based.
No Windows software based firewall performs IPS, as it's generally done via a router OS/Firmware [Sophos UTM, pfSense, OpenWrt, DD-WRT, etc.], although you can utilize daemons like Snort on a Linux/BSD OS [Ubuntu, Arch, TrueOS, FreeBSD, etc.]. IPS at the software level is done via HIPS in Windows.

Reaction score
I am on the fast ring and at build 15063.rs2 and check definitions daily. YESTERDAY, I open an incognito page and immediately alarms go off. "Microsoft" says that I need to call 888...... as I have been infected, full screen, very authenticate looking and warning me that I have 2 minutes to call or they will "protect their internet network and disable my computer"--real audio. Real official sounding and looking.

The day before I had done an system image backup, so I shut down and restored the image. THEREFORE, WD missed that one! Going back to Malwarebyte and Avast until they break with an Win10 update.

LRK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I watched the video from Britec (link below), he dumped several malware files on his W10 and it found them all. :D

So, I guess my question is, can it really be trusted over other AV software?. (I am using it btw and have not had a problem!).

My system is fully up-to-date with the latest build:

Windows 10 Home.
Version 1703.
OS Build 1063.138.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/bri...-offer-enough-protection-in-windows-10.63482/
On the advice of a friend who is a professional IT person, I cancelled my subscription to AVG and went only with Windows Defender. Have not had a single problem in the two years since I switched. In his opinion, it's as good, if not better, than most commercial products.

Reaction score
I have been using Zone Alarm now for many years, and have yet to find any other software that even comes close to the protection provided by ZA. My computers are invisible to the Internet; period. If you want an expert opinion on this, check out www.grc.com and while you are there, test your system. Firewall and Anti-virus.

Ask a Question