Is Windows Defender good enough?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I watched the video from Britec (link below), he dumped several malware files on his W10 and it found them all. :D

So, I guess my question is, can it really be trusted over other AV software?. (I am using it btw and have not had a problem!).

My system is fully up-to-date with the latest build:

Windows 10 Home.
Version 1703.
OS Build 1063.138.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/bri...-offer-enough-protection-in-windows-10.63482/
I started using Windows Defender I believe when I first started using an Insider version of Windows 10, and it worked OK for a while. Then, my computer received a virus, and Microsoft recommended I use Trend Micro, which I did until the subscription ended recently. My computer wasn't infected during the time I used Trend Micro. So, I'm back using Defender, and so far so good. I'm still curious why Microsoft recommended I use Trend Micro and not Windows Defender.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Jersey_Devil said
:

I'm still curious why Microsoft recommended I use Trend Micro and not Windows Defender.

One cannot read the minds of Microsoft, but given that in 2014 Trend Micro developed Cloud Security that fully integrated with Microsoft Office 365, and the fact Trend Micro in partnership with Interpol has helped reduced Cybercrime, its no surprise Microsoft would recommend them.

Take into account also you approached Microsoft all ready infected - while using Defender - its logical they were in no position to recommend the continuance usage of Defender at that time, so they offered you a highly regarded third party option.

Reaction score
Malwarebytes is a different layer of protection than WD and they do not conflict. You can run the trial version and see how you like it. I rarely know its there.
HI @gapi ,

I will wait and see first with WD, thanks for the heads up. :D

Reaction score
Hi all,

take a look at this vid (it is long but interesting!). I still think that WD did a good job because they halted the test and if you flood any PC with a batch of viruses it will still need time to do its thing!:

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
A recent review demonstrated that out of 1 million test files, Windows Defender missed 3 files.

However, the review took into account, how fast it scanned, the general aesthetics of the GUI interface, among other things and its total percentage rating as a result dropped to 84%.

In my personal opinion I ignore these reviews as they are paid for by someone who wants you to buy their product, or use their so called free utility and to me these reviews are generally a load of bollocks as a result.

As an analogy, its like asking one of these television doctors which drug is best for X condition, when really you should be asking them, which Drug Company is paying them to host the TV show.

Reaction score
HI @Regedit32,

I agree with you, I was just browsing through YouTube and stumbled across the vid, I looked at a couple of others too and basically none of the freebies did a much better job than WD!. :D

Reaction score
I must admit that I have not had any problems whatsoever since using Windows Defender, when I ran AVG Free; I had constant warnings about something (mostly advertising!), this leads me to believe that WD isn't that bad.

The only real problem is I keep getting reminders to run a quick scan but that may be due to me using CCleaner, which may well be wiping log files from WD?. :)

Ask a Question