Issue with Macrium and chkdsk

Reaction score
I use Macrium Reflect v8.....I've used Macrium since about v4......
I created a Macrium Image of a Win 10 laptop and saved the image on a external USB hard drive....

Now I cannot open the image file from that HD......
I set up a support ticked with Macrium and after several back and forth messages......and me supplying the info they asked for....
Macrium tells me they cannot fix the issue so that I might open this image file.......

So......thought I would run chkdsk on the USB hd....see if that does anything....So CMD with admin....

I ran chkdsk /f on the HD and it found no errors....
Then I ran chkdsk /r on the hd and it stalls out in Stage 4......Looking for bad clusters in user file data....
Progress 7868 of 7920 done....Stage: 99%; Total 3%...ETA 2:15:37.....
At this point NOTHING moves....no indication of any activity what-so-ever....

So I cancelled that out and changed directories to K:\ this is the drive that the external HD identifies with....
Then changed directories to the folder that contains the Macrium image that I need....
And again chkdsk /r stalls out at the EXACT same location as in the above paragraph.....

So....this suggests that I "might" have a bad sector or more that the Macrium image is occupying....

Does anyone know of any "tool" that might be used to fix bad sectors...?????

Many thanks for anything that might help.....

PS I NEED to open this Macrium image file to pull some data out that the lawyers closing my clients business need because my client
has died a couple months ago....The laptop that I created the Macrium image from has been re-imaged with a new Win 10 image and my
clients son is using the laptop in his business......

So....there is NO OPTION of going back to the original computer and look for the files the lawyers need.....

Reaction score
I , also, am a long term , and satisfied, user of Macrium.
I ahve it set up precisiely the same, with an external ssd to store the images.

I cannot see that a corrupted disk would make any difference to restoring, or inspecting, an image.

Only suggestion I can make, if not already, is that you create a bootable macrium image - boot up with that, and see if you are more succesful

Ask a Question